NicolasRubio
Topic Author

Another Amazing Rainbow Contrail!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:28 am

Congratulations to Ismael!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ismael Jorda

Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II

san747

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:10 pm

It's a sweet pic, but did anyone else notice that the aircraft in the picture doesn't look like a 767? It looks to me like an A330 or something... Maybe I'm going nuts, but the engines don't look like 767 engines, the wingtips look raked, and the wingspan is too wide compared to the fuselage to be a 767-300...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so in this case...
Scotty doesn't know...

Q330

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 1):
It looks to me like an A330 or something...

Nope, that's not an A330. If the photographer included the exact rego, he was probably able to confirm it one way or another.

-Q
Long live the A330!

scbriml

RE: Another Amazing Rainbow Contrail!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:45 pm

So does this answer the question about manipulation of these sorts of images to give a black sky? confused 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

linco22

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:58 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 3):
So does this answer the question about manipulation of these sorts of images to give a black sky?

Well in my book this is manipulation. How can an aircraft be perfectly lit under a black sky? If someone proves it then so be it.

Regards
Colin  Smile

DLKAPA

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:38 am

Looks like a T7 to me.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

bmibaby737

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:47 am

Has no one noticed that the photographer has put their own copyright text on the image before they uploaded it!?

How did this get past screening??

Bmi

clickhappy

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:57 am

copyright text is allowed as long as it isn't too obvious.

Here is some info from the Upload FAQ

...as it isn't too large and not visible on the thumbnail version of your picture which will be displayed on the confirmation page of the upload process

bubbles
Crew

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 6):
How did this get past screening??

I think it might be allowed. The rejection of COPYRIGHT has the following content.

Quote:
A small copyright notice in a corner is acceptable, but please remove any other text or graphics from your photos, including all internet addresses (URLs). If you prefer to add a copyright notice onto your pictures please make sure that they are not visible on the thumbnail.

_Hongyin_

eadster

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:01 am

Just enjoy the picture guys. Don't worry about the little things.

Halcyon

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:31 pm

Those wings do look very much like a T7 though, and so do the engines.  Smile Of course, I'm no expert and it does not really matter at all. Great shot, absolutely love it! Excellent job!

JeffM

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 4):
How can an aircraft be perfectly lit under a black sky? If someone proves it then so be it.

Easy. Try this to prove it your self.

Take something outside at night, shine a flash light at the object from underneath. The light illuminates the object, but nothing behind it.

In the example of that aircraft, it is obviously being lit from beneath, most likely from a setting sun.

DLKAPA

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 11):

In the example of that aircraft, it is obviously being lit from beneath, most likely from a setting sun.

Judging from the light pattern on the aircraft, I don't think so. Notice on the left side of the aircraft there is a thin band where the light is actually hitting it in only a small area, whereas most of the aircraft is in shadow. Because the aircraft is a cylinder, this can only suggest that the aircraft is being lit mostly from the top.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Halcyon

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:04 pm

Look at the moon through a telescope at day and you'll see the sky around it is black. Since the "color" blue is due to aerial effect, magnification and altitude are what make the black background.

Lucas

(PS-this is just what I think from tooling around with my telescope...thesky is always black at day then.)

linco22

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:56 pm

In the example of that aircraft, it is obviously being lit from beneath, most likely from a setting sun

Ok fair comment. Its just a friend of mine takes alot of contrail shots and changed a day lit shot into exactly the same as above. All i'm saying is that yes it is probably possible to achieve the above the results without manipulation, but also with manipulation.

If the photographer is on the forums i'd like to see an original.

Regards
Colin  Smile

scbriml

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 13):
magnification and altitude are what make the black background.

I've never seen a black sky during the day at 40,000ft, and if it's dark enough to have a black sky, you sure wouldn't be able to see the contrail like it is in that shot.

Strange, because in the thread below you said:

Quote:
I don't think it's all natural either

Manipulation... Again. (by United737522 Aug 5 2006 in Aviation Photography)

Here's an example that is clearly illuminated from the side, probably taken early morning or late afternoon. The sky is still blue.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Enrique Ferrer

Adjusting levels to give a "whiter" contail would result in a darker blue/black sky. See reply #41 in the above thread.

Yes we've all seen bright contrails in the sky just as/after the sun has set. However, if the sun is still able to illuminate the plane & contrail, the sky behind it would still be blue not black.

I have no issue with this photograph or the photographer, but I would like a clear statement from the screeners on this type of shot. This is at least the third thread on this very subject of "black sky contrails" and we've still had no answer.

Here's the other thread that I'm aware of: Photos Like This Not Allowed Anymore? > Badcolor (by INNflight May 16 2005 in Aviation Photography)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

JeffM

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 12):
Judging from the light pattern on the aircraft, I don't think so. Notice on the left side of the aircraft there is a thin band where the light is actually hitting it in only a small area, whereas most of the aircraft is in shadow. Because the aircraft is a cylinder, this can only suggest that the aircraft is being lit mostly from the top.

After a second look, you may be right, but it's not a high sun by any means. The light is hitting it from an angle.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 15):
Strange, because in the thread below you said:

Quote:
I don't think it's all natural either

Manipulation... Again. (by United737522 Aug 5 2006 in Aviation Photography)

I didn't say it was 100% natural. I do believe some manipulation took place. Yet 99.9% of all photos on here are manipulated anyway.

linco22

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 16):
Yet 99.9% of all photos on here are manipulated anyway

A little bit of that is neccessary though wouldn't you agree? As in cropping and leveling. Its just good practice. But for me, if it is manipulation, is way over the line.

Regards
Colin  Smile

Halcyon

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 15):
I've never seen a black sky during the day at 40,000ft, and if it's dark enough to have a black sky, you sure wouldn't be able to see the contrail like it is in that shot.

With magnification it looks black. Altitude effect is inversely multiplied due to the altitude. Anyway, but a telescope and try it for youself. It's a neat experience. I don't know if this is the same, but I know that at high magnifications the sky turns dark.