N178UA
Topic Author

Your Views On Cabin Photos

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:35 pm

While browsing most popular photos today, saw a few cabin shot and I've always wondering other's peoples views on cabin photos.

For myself, I always prefer clean cabin, no pax, no crew, no lovely FAs, and fresh cabin if possible. (mostly before flights or press tour) but I know this is not always possible and sometimes I took some "messy" pictures as well (a compromise to my own belief and standard)

Examples of what I try to strive

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

Perhaps I am just very narrow and extreme, but that's just my way of taking and seeing a cabin photo should be like. But since this hobby is very wide and no definition of right or wrong, I would like to see others view of cabin pics.....share your thoughts.
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

viv

RE: Your Views On Cabin Photos

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:41 pm

I don't see the point of cabin shots. I find them boring. Each to his own.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

N754PR

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:44 pm

Well, you do have great cabin shots and sometimes its hard to get the plane that clean and no crew or pax.

However seeing shot after shot after shot of the same airlines from the same people of the same angle for me just gets boring. Same goes for people that upload 40 pics of Southwest 737-700's taken from the same place on the same day  no 
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

linco22

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
Each to his own.

I agree with Viv here, their just not my thing. They do get alot of hits on this site so they are a very popular motive. I'm more of a cockpit fan over the cabin. Uncluttered shots to do look better of course.

Nice shots Sam

Regards
Colin  Smile

TransIsland

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:10 pm

As I don't like cabin shots either (boring), and there seems to be a trend here, I wonder where all those hits come from...

BTW, unless there's something spectacular outside, I'm not a great fan of cockpit shots either.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

jumbojim747

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:32 pm

I have a lot of cabin shots but i dont find them interesting to upload .
Unless its a classic like a Connie or something i dont really bother with them.
Like Viv said each to their own.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

eddl

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:35 pm

IMHO empty cabins are quite boring ... but each to his own.

View Large View Medium

Photo © EDDL Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © EDDL Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © EDDL Photography

Phil / EDDL

Rotate

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting N178UA (Thread starter):
For myself, I always prefer clean cabin, no pax, no crew, no lovely FAs, and fresh cabin if possible.

Yes, I also prefer clean cabins, but its very hard to preboard or get access .....
Just as a sidenote - overall I think cabinviews are highly overrated ...

Robin
ABC

Stealthz

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Personally... Can't see the point in them, I guess that is not the opinion of many Anet visitors tho.
I guess I have spent far too much time being cramped, uncomfortable and tired in airliner cabins to be excited by pics of them.
Good cockpit shot with interesting details on the displays and maybe something going on outside.. that is a different thing.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

clickhappy

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:59 pm

They aren't bad, this is one of my faves

linco22

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 9):

*sound of snare drum and symbol*

JeffM

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting N178UA (Thread starter):
I would like to see others view of cabin pics.....share your thoughts.

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
I don't see the point of cabin shots. I find them boring.

thumbsup  thumbsup 

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 3):
their just not my thing.

thumbsup 

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 8):
Personally... Can't see the point in them,

thumbsup 

Quoting Rotate (Reply 7):
overall I think cabinviews are highly overrated ...

thumbsup 

Never click on them, especially don't like the wide angle effect. The distortion makes them unnatural.

thumbsup  Now that's a cabin!

Fiveholer

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:27 pm

Is that a '47 cabin? Big grin

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

LGW

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi all,

Some cabin views I find interesting just to see what a particualr airline and aircraft looks like but normally I don't like them.

I think some (not all) people like cabin shots as it boosts their ego by putting a comment like "shot from biz class" "shot from the front cabin" "lovely flight on board this 747 as I enjoy free champagne and caviar" "I get double AAdvantage miles for this flight" etc

Ben

oly720man

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:39 pm

Lots of legroom in that one.

Personally, don't get too excited about them. Nice to see how the rich folks fly in comfort, but other than that....
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Psych

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:53 pm

I can safely say that I have never opened up a cabin photo in about 4 or 5 years viewing this site. I find them completely uninteresting, possibly because I don't have the opportunity to fly a lot. But there can be no doubt that they are very popular photos. I have always assumed this is because many people are interested in seeing what the seating will be on their plane prior to a flight, and come here to check them out. But some of the massive viewing figures they get are fascinating.

This raises a potentially very interesting debate about what should and should not feature on the database, and what the aims of the site are - ultimately, of course, Johan's decision. Contrail shots - now there's another one  wink .

All the best.

Paul

diezel

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:15 am

I agree with Paul but like to add something.

Allthough I'm not very interested in cabin views, I can understand why they generate a lot of hits.

Not all hits are generated by us photogs. Lot's of non photogs are just very interested in how the cabin will look at their next flight and how the cabin could have looked if they were able to pay for that premium class ticket, because chances are high that they will never fly that way.

I think you can compare it like peeking into your rich/famous neighbour living room  eyepopping . From that perspective I can understand that those shots generate a lot of views and serve a purpose.

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

ThierryD
Crew

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:17 am

Cabin shots can be interesting if they show new cabin layout with some nice features or VIP a/c interiors but there's hardly something more boring than just row after row of empty seats showing nothing else than ... empty seats.  bored 

As cabin shots however mostly get some thousands views certainly motivates some people to upload them in more or less greater number. Getting these numbers with an exterior view of an a/c is definitely more difficult...

But as Viv said: "Each to his own!"

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Stealthz

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 15):
Contrail shots - now there's another one

Oh yeah... just can't get that excited by them either!!!

Some of the inflight ones are awesome but the ground based ones... mostly a waste of ones and zeros!!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

jakbar

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:23 am

have always assumed this is because many people are interested in seeing what the seating will be on their plane prior to a flight, and come here to check them out.

Personally, I think cabin shots are interesting, but only when the shot is totally uncluttered. Whenever I'm flying on an airline I have never been on, or in a class of service that I have never been in, I always do some research on the site to see what to expect. I also like seeing what different airplanes around the world look like on the inside, since I'll never be on many of those planes and have the opportunity to see for myself first-hand.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 11):
especially don't like the wide angle effect. The distortion makes them unnatural.

100% agree with that.

azza40

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:25 am

I only ever like to look for cabin shots for when i am flying on an airline and i want to see what the interior should look like.

Aaron  swirl 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

DC3

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 4):
As I don't like cabin shots either (boring), and there seems to be a trend here, I wonder where all those hits come from...

This is exactly what I've been asking myself since the first time I found Airliners.net!

KFLLCFII

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:26 am

Cabin shots are great because they can be used to compare one airline's interior from another, which can prove to be helpful when choosing which carrier to book, etc.

But seriously Sam, drop the fisheye...It makes the photos look awkward and clumsy.  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

9V

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 22):
Cabin shots are great because they can be used to compare one airline's interior from another, which can prove to be helpful when choosing which carrier to book, etc.

But seriously Sam, drop the fisheye...It makes the photos look awkward and clumsy.

praise   praise   praise   checkmark 

LHRsunriser

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
I don't see the point of cabin shots. I find them boring. Each to his own.

I agree, boring, no skill required and it annoys me when they get top of day positions when there are utterly beautiful photos around which get missed.

Cheers Dom
Getting back into it

ptrjong

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:50 am

Almost without exception, I find cabin shots uninteresting, but I guess their popularity is entirely consistent with what the CivAv and Preferences forums are mostly about. For many 'aviation enthousiasts', the passion doesn't seem to go much further than comparing airliner interiors. Beats me.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

locsta

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:08 am

i only enjoy the ones that look like they're from star trek with trippy lighting.
Missed 4 chasing 1

Historic747

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:24 am

I think this site these days caters to an audience beyond photographers. This is the best place to get an idea of how a cabin on a particular aircraft of a particlar airline looks and feels like. Even the ariline companies do not offer such good pictures.  Smile

maiznblu_757

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:33 am

Nice but this is more my style:

domokun

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:41 am

My wife is an interior designer; she is sometimes quite interested in cabin shots. For her, it is interesting to see the materials, construction, use and design of the inside of the cabin.

For me, it is interesting seeing the 'messy' shots and looking at the pax to see what they are doing to occupy themselves.

Very much to each their own  Smile

mygind66

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:41 am

I can safely say that I have never opened up a cabin photo in about 4 or 5 years viewing this site.

Are you 100% sure? Did you opened the Hooters cabin one? Big grin Who did not?Raise your hands people from outer world! Big grin

... Paul, You've written 16 lines, I'm happy to see that the treatment you're taking does it's job  Wink

About cabin shots, I LIKE THEM! I'm afraid I'm the odd one here..
I remember the A350, or it was a bloody T7 with the cool night effect in the ceiling..

Quoting LHRsunriser (Reply 24):
no skill required

Well..I have some rejected..

Cheers

Enrique

Fly747

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:21 am

I'm with you Enrique, I like cabin shots as well. I don't go around and click on every one of them, but there are some that catch my attention. It is nice to see what airlines around the world do with their interiors.

Ivan

Avsfan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:40 am

I personally dont like the airline cabin shots. I will say that it is nice to see the interior of corporate jets. Unfortunately I dont really prefer to look at cockpit shots unless they show something interesting. To go along with this, in my opinion I dont really agree with a lot of the shots taken out of the cabin window or over the wing. Now if there is something interesting to look at, such as the aerial view of an airport, maybe other traffic in the area or a nice sunset, then those are nice to see. There is no motive for me to see what it looks like to look out into empty space, I could do that just sitting at home or at work when there is no aircraft flying at the airport. I would like to see more up-close shots of fighter pilots performing their jobs while defending their country.

Louis
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

N178UA
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:05 am

Wow 32 replies so far..of course each to their own!  Smile

My original post also wondering people like clean ones or crowded ones (or neither of course)

I found cabin photos extremely important to me as a frequent flyer, I look up photos and form some sort of expectation before my flight. There is no Garuda B747-400 cabin photo anywhere on A.net or JP.net which I will fly soon, having a cabin photo can be served as informative to the browsing public.

I think I will continue to upload "Clean and tidy" cabin photos, on average I only take photo in an airline cabin 1 out of 7 flights so I hope I ain't flooding the DB.  Wink
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

Dazed767

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:34 am

I enjoy cabin photos. Always cool to see what the cabin looks like on certain airliners/airlines. And there are a few lucky guys on here like Sam and Chris Waser who upload interior shots from some unique and rare aircraft which is cool to see.

Justin

eadster

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09 am

What get's me is there are constantly pictures getting accepted of seats and interiors yet there are many airport overviews that get rejected. I'd rather be looking at aircraft and where they land, plus the business end (the cockpit) rather than a boring seat in business class. But as Viv said, each to their own.

JeffM

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:45 am

Quoting Avsfan (Reply 32):
I would like to see more up-close shots of fighter pilots performing their jobs while defending their country.

LOL....
How about self portraits?

I wasn't doing anything but 'takin' pictures' and goofing off.... what you can't see if the barf bag in my G-suit! Don't laugh.....! Unless you've "been there....and done that.."!

maiznblu_757

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting N178UA (Reply 33):
My original post also wondering people like clean ones or crowded ones (or neither of course)

Doesnt matter to me either way.  thumbsdown 

Avsfan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:33 pm

JeffM....With over 3000 military flying hours in my logbook, I will admit that I have only upchucked twice. On my F-16 ride, I did not have to pull out the "barf bag" once, and that was after flying at 500 ft above the ground and pulling over 6 Gs during a simulated bomb run/mission during a Canadian exercise. Along with that, they wouldnot let me take a camera on the flight, I wanted a self portrait so bad for my personal collection.

Now I know you are retired Navy, but just cannot figure out which aircraft that is.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

JeffM

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting Avsfan (Reply 38):
just cannot figure out which aircraft that is.

The actual aircraft.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Powell

The A-4 had a roll rate of 720 degrees per second, and could pass a Tomcat going vertical, but what would make me puke were the pilots putting the aircraft into a parabolic curve to show me what it was like to be weightless. Or adding -1 to get their paperback book off the floor. That, and the fact that we had a few former Blue Angel pilots that just couldn't keep the plane straight and level.  Wink

I've seen a g-meter go to +8.5, I wasn't awake for it's final destination of 9.5.

N754PR

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:44 pm

Certain people post crap loads of them for one reason... HITS!!
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

ThierryD
Crew

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 39):
I've seen a g-meter go to +8.5, I wasn't awake for it's final destination of 9.5.

And you don't even need a jet to do that; a good old T-6 Texan can do the job as well.  Wink
Didn't need the barf bag though.  silly 

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

ag92

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:58 pm

I personally like to go on Anet before my flight, and i get a small sense of idea what my flight in economy would be like for today

Cheers

JAT74L

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:57 pm

Cabin shots? I can take them or leave them but the viewers seem to want to take them so when I'm in a nice cabin I take a shot. I don't like the fisheye view though - and after all there is no need for it.

I must admit though WHY people want to look at a bar so much is beyond me.

Regards

John
I like trains just as much as planes but trains don't like the Atlantic!

joffie

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:09 pm

I like cabin shots.

Say for example, you are going on a flight on an Airline or Acft you have never been on, you can simply pull up a.net and see the inside of the plane Big grin  Big grin

trvyyz

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am

I like cabin shots and I thought taking a cabin shot inflight was a challenge especially w/o flash.

I wonder how guys don't like to click the first class cabin shots of the EK A345.

Great work Sam  bigthumbsup 

clean cabin, no pax, no crew and fresh cabin are always better. Lovely FAs don't hurt though.

paulinbna

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting N754PR (Reply 2):
Same goes for people that upload 40 pics of Southwest 737-700's taken from the same place on the same day

Well put from some one living in Hong Kong. Imagine you are at an airport (BNA), and there is only one spot to take pictures from (every other place you WILL get run off from). Then imagine that same airport has about 80-100 WN flight a day.

I wish we did have what you had in Hong Kong, but we dont.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

chris78cpr

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:35 pm

I personnaly like cabin shots as you can see from my shots in the DB.

Like most people here i like to look at them to see what i can expect from a flight on a new ac or a new cos. I also like to read the comments of what people thought of the flight and such. This is why i always try to leave a large and detailed comment so people can know what i thought of the flight.

I also like the fisheye view. Using a lens so wide makes taking the shot easier and i think it brings a good dynamic to the shot. I also want to start shooting them with a 14mm fixed lens.

Saying this, i have done 72 flights this year and i dont think i have taken one cabin shot. Kind of lost interest in taking them but i still like looking at them.

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

Jkw777

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting LGW (Reply 13):
I think some (not all) people like cabin shots as it boosts their ego by putting a comment like "shot from biz class" "shot from the front cabin" "lovely flight on board this 747 as I enjoy free champagne and caviar" "I get double AAdvantage miles for this flight" etc

Who on earth could you be possibly referring to?!?!?!?!?!?!  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography

These are some of my own faves - Yeah they're fisheye:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Wood - Woof Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Wood - Woof Photography

Overall I like cabin shots for the view of a cabin I might be flying in the near future so I just like to check em out. If I'm ever feeling nostalgic I'll look at a cabin photo or two to just lift myself. I prefer window/cockpit shots though!

Regards,
Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

willo

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 47):
Like most people here I like to look at them to see what I can expect from a flight on a new ac or a new cos.

Not sure how a picture of tens of rows of back of seats can tell you what to expect from a flight. It doesn't tell you what the food will be like, how pleasant the staff are, how irritating the guy who'll sit next to you will be. To me, those things are more important than knowing that, for the next 13 hours, the seat back in front of me will be grey and the walls biege!

Sorry, cluttered or not, cabin shots do nothing for me.