ptrjong

Homer Motive And Info

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Good day all,

A little bit to my surprise, this photo of the Mil Mi-12 helicopter was rejected for motive and info.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...jections/big/20061015_Mi-12ptr.jpg

I thought I could cut the tailfin and starboard engine/rotor off in this case - am I wrong?
Or is the rejection because of the branches top right?
Could I solve whatever the problem is by cropping closer to the fuselage on the top side, cutting one or both endplate fins too?

The info provided:

Untitled
Mil Mi-12
Mil Mi-12
Monino
Russia, April 28, 2005
Reg:
Code:
Cn:

This is because the aircraft carries no registration, codes or titles whatsoever, and the c/n is unknown as far as I know.
It has sometimes been uploaded as Untitled (Aeroflot). Is that the issue - is this an Aeroflot colour scheme?
I believe it is really the V-12 rather than Mi-12, but the V-12 entries in the database have been changed to Mi-12, so I've followed the flow.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

ptrjong

RE: Homer Motive And Info

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Another motive rejection... Angry

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...ections/big/20061016_NL-316ptr.jpg
You think it's awkward?

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

aero145

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:55 pm

I'll let other people talk about the 1st one, but here's my opinions on the 2nd one.

The flaps have been cut out, I guess that is the matter. It is also waaaaaaay oversharpened on the IBM ThinkVision screen I'm using in my school. Maybe it is a horrible screen, but at least, those were my two cents.  Silly

Regards,
Aero145

jorge1812

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Not oversharpened on my screen - about the motive I'll let others speak.

Georg

acontador

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Peter,

On the info rejection I cannot comment, but looking at the first picture, my first impression was: why cutting the fin off? Even at that same position, you clearly had space to move the camera slightly higher (you're showing some grass beneath...), or just step back a little and have the full fin in the frame. My point is: I cannot see any reason why you cut the fin off, but I showed you already two why/how to include it  Wink .

On the second, I have to say for me this is a strange looking crop. Nothing is really fully visible (besides the title). Why did you crop it that way? This just doesn't look like the type of crops accepted by A.net now...Btw, the second looks perfectly sharp to me, just the antennas on top are kind of blurry/soft.
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

ptrjong

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:29 am

Thanks for your comments guys.

Quoting Acontador (Reply 4):
why cutting the fin off? Even at that same position, you clearly had space to move the camera slightly higher (you're showing some grass beneath...), or just step back a little and have the full fin in the frame. My point is: I cannot see any reason why you cut the fin off, but I showed you already two why/how to include it

Actually, that fin is quite tall and including it all would have changed the composition a lot. I don't think that is what I wanted to do. Alas, if it doesn't look good then it doesn't look good. Cutting deeper doesn't work, so I'll bin it.

Quoting Acontador (Reply 4):
On the second, I have to say for me this is a strange looking crop. Nothing is really fully visible (besides the title). Why did you crop it that way?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Marks-ManxAirPix

Andy sums up the reason why in his comment... but you're right. I guess I like it mostly for the light.

Fine, two OK rejections. Smile