Avsfan
Topic Author

Can It Make The Database?

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:26 am

Looking for opinion on whether this picture of a B-773 can make it into the database. It was definitely a luck of the draw to get a picture of this B-773 as it made 2 touch & gos in Grand Junction, CO. The aircraft was suppose to do the approaches at some other airport, but due to weather it came to Grand Junction. Nothing like clearing it for approaches and snapping the pictures at the same time from the tower.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Louis DePaemelaere

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Louis
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

spencer

RE: Can It Make The Database?

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:28 am

I really like it, whether or not it goes on or not. The mountain range in the bg looks really cool.
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

JeffM

Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:04 am

It's a nice shot, but as shown looks like it's suffering from some jaggies, and maybe soft in spots.

Avsfan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:18 am

It was a quick edit to send to some friends. I do see a few 'jaggies' on the leading edge of the wing (towards the wingtip) and possibly some on the lettering. What portions do you consider soft?
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

acontador

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:21 am

Hi Louis,

The shot as uploaded will not be accepted here, but it defiently has the potential! I think your main problem here is that the sun was shining towards the mountain in the background but you got the clouds when taking the pictures. Try with the levels adjustment, then go for some 20-40% sharpening, and then erase/sharpen spots as needed.
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

scottieprecord

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:39 am

Great shot! It does have some quality issues, which, like the others said, can be improved with sharpening and what not...

My main question though, is that a rainbow in the upper right of the frame?

Avsfan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 5):
My main question though, is that a rainbow in the upper right of the frame?

You are correct and see the remaining portion of a rainbow. We had some weird weather rolling through the area when the B-773 was doing the approaches. The entire rainbow was visible when the B-773 was on about a 5nm final, but just about totally disipated by the time the picture was taken. I wanted to get the entire rainbow behind the B-773, but mother nature did not cooperate. Believe it or not, but there was snow on those mountains within an hour after the B-773 left the area.

Quoting Acontador (Reply 4):
Try with the levels adjustment, then go for some 20-40% sharpening, and then erase/sharpen spots as needed.

The levels were adjusted and I used 50%, 0.2, 0 on the sharpening. I did however apply the USM passes three times (too much?).

draigonair

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:22 am

Wow i really like it!
Good luck with it...find it a rare photo which would be very interesting to have in database!

cheers
cheers

satx

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:35 am

Excellent photo! I would have cropped more of the bottom off and given less crop on either side to get more of the mountain range in. That's not a Borg.net suggestion, just my preference.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...