Avsfan
Topic Author

Thinking About A New Lens.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Hello to all of the Nikon users out there.

I am thinking about purchasing a new lens for my Nikon D70. Right now I shoot with a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 telephoto with macro feature. Along with aviation photography, I am looking at expanding to photographing sports such as ice hockey. I would like to get a lens with VR capability, but those are out of my budget/price range. I have been looking at the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom. I am curious to know how much better quality photos will I get with the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom lens. If there is a big increase in photo quality, will I have to spend less time post-processing photos? I would love to try and reduce the post-processing of the sharpness and things like that.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Louis

NOTE: Wilddigital.com has the 70-200mm f/2.8 for $754 and then there is a $50 rebate from Nikon.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

IngemarE

RE: Thinking About A New Lens.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Your link shows an AF-S 80-200 2,8, which isn't the same as the one advertized for 750$!! Beware! (The AF-S-variant usually goes for around 850$ used, so that's your clue!)

Yes, you will notice a great difference in picture quality, if you go from the Tamron 70-300.
Will it significantly reduce your post-processing work load? I doubt it!

Myself, I have found the Sigma EX-series to be of excellent standard. High glass-quality, combined with fast focusing and a reasonable price makes them winners in my book!

Of course, if you can get your hands on an AF-S 80-200 for 750$, by all means do get your hands on it. 'Cause it's a killer-lens!!
In thrust I trust.

Avsfan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting IngemarE (Reply 1):
Your link shows an AF-S 80-200 2,8, which isn't the same as the one advertized for 750$!!

Then what is the link showing because it says "Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8D ED Autofocus Lens". I put 70-200mm f/2.8 in the note when I should have put 80-200mm (so many numbers going through my noggin'). Since I am looking at the 80-200mm f/2.8 and if that is what the link advertises, I take it that is a good deal?

What are some good links that you know of for the Sigma EX-series of lenses? I have heard/read good and bad things about the Sigma Lenses.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

CalgaryBill

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:30 am

One thing I'd caution with the AF lens is that focusing is slow. I sold mine and got the AF-S 70-200 F2.8 VR. It focuses faster, and it doesn't hunt as much trying to lock on fast moving objects.

I can't compare it to the Tamron you have, but you might miss having 300 on the long end.

B

IngemarE

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:43 am

There are two, no actually three different kinds of Nikkor 80-200 f2,8's; The push-pull kind, the two-ring(or two-touch, as some prefer to call it) whithout internal focusing motor and then the AF-S kind which has an internal so called Silent Wave Motor (equivalent to Canon's USM and Sigma's HSM).

There is a clear difference in focusing-speed between the AF-S and the non-AF-S's. Optically however, I doubt you would notice the difference.
I've had a two-ring 80-200 once myself and I was very happy with it. Can really recommend it!

Regarding the Sigma EX-series, I would have to say that almost all of them are more than good enough for the kind of shooting we do. ....and they have a much sweeter pricetag than do the Nikkor's and Canon's!!
In thrust I trust.

codeshare

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:59 am

I've been using the 80-200 f/2.8 D ED for the last two years. It proved to be my workhorse lens. It's solid and a great performer. But the only thing better than it is the 70-200 VR, which I got just recently. It's a real stunner.

You also might have a look at the new Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR lens.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Avsfan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 3):
I can't compare it to the Tamron you have, but you might miss having 300 on the long end.

That is one thing I have thought about, however I have no plans on getting rid of the Tamron70-300mm for right now. I would like to have the 80-200mm or 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for indoor and lowlight photography.

Quoting IngemarE (Reply 4):
Regarding the Sigma EX-series, I would have to say that almost all of them are more than good enough for the kind of shooting we do. ....and they have a much sweeter pricetag than do the Nikkor's and Canon's!!

I will do futher research on the Sigma lenses.

Quoting Codeshare (Reply 5):
But the only thing better than it is the 70-200 VR, which I got just recently. It's a real stunner.

I would love that, but is most likely out of my price range.

Quoting Codeshare (Reply 5):
You also might have a look at the new Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR lens.

I am looking at this lens also...mainly for the VR and price. The only downfall would be the f-stop range on it.