airkas1
Crew

Motiv/size/editing Rejection

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Hey guys,

I just saw I got this photo rejected for Size, Editing and Motive.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...20061102_P4-FAS_AMS_26-10-06kj.jpg

I'm not arguing the size. I checked it again and it's correctly rejected because of that.

However, I dont really get the motive and editing rejection.

The only think for motive I could think was that I cut off the that big thingy which is used for the flaps on the left wing (but that's a little farfetched maybe?)

And about the editing, I didn't do anything to it I don't normally do when editing as far as I can remember.

Could anyone help me point out those 2 reasons please?

Thanks,

Kas
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

NIKV69

RE: Motiv/size/editing Rejection

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 am

Nice shot! Maybe because you got the wing just clipping the top of the control tower but to me the crop looks a little off and not pleasing to the eye. A screener can tell you if it can be saved but if the AC is too close to the tower it may not be. Love the pic tho. I saw a Air Astana 757 at GYR, it's nice to see one flying!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

globalpics

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:59 am

My motive would be because you could certainly crop closer to the left (as we look) wing and you have cropped through the blister thingy under the right wing.I looks almost as if you havn't been carefull with the crop, which Im sure you have been of course  Smile

JRadier

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting AirKas1 (Thread starter):
big thingy

Quoting Globalpics (Reply 2):
blister thingy

Let's just call it a "flap fairing"
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Psych

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:18 am

Hello Kas.

My guess also is that the screener felt the crop was not well motivated. It looks as though it would have been possible to give the crop a bit more space on the right, so that the tip of the flap fairing would not have been cropped and a little bit more room would have given the shot a little more balance. Also, that way, you may then have been able to include the whole of the left horizontal stabiliser.

As regards editing, I am not sure. I would have guessed at a problem with sharpening and also softness (there is a little blur in the nose area and also the rear fuselage to my eye). There may have been a sense that there was use of the shadow/highlight tool or equivalent to bring up a bit too much of the dark belly area, but I am guessing here.

All the best.

Paul

airkas1
Crew

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:31 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

Quoting JRadier (Reply 3):
Let's just call it a "flap fairing"

Yeh, that's the word I was looking for Big grin

Quoting Psych (Reply 4):
There may have been a sense that there was use of the shadow/highlight tool or equivalent to bring up a bit too much of the dark belly area

Hmm... I've seriously never used that tool and I also have no idea how to use it.  Smile

Quoting Globalpics (Reply 2):
My motive would be because you could certainly crop closer to the left (as we look) wing and you have cropped through the blister thingy under the right wing.

Quoting Psych (Reply 4):
It looks as though it would have been possible to give the crop a bit more space on the right, so that the tip of the flap fairing would not have been cropped and a little bit more room would have given the shot a little more balance. Also, that way, you may then have been able to include the whole of the left horizontal stabiliser.

I can probably fit the stabiliser in with a different crop.
However, my motive was to take a 4/3 crop (where it went wrong with the size I don't know, because 4/3 should be usable aswell, right?) and by taking that crop I could fit this part of the tower in which I thought would make for a nice photo in combination with the aircraft.

I will try again, but with some modifications of course, and otherwise I have 2 other shots from this aircraft.

Thanks!

airkas1
Crew

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:57 pm

So I tried a different crop (haven't done anything else to it):

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=75cropwb6.jpg

How does it look now?

Lanas

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi Kas

Much better motiv this time. Good luck with it!
As for the "thingy" beneath the wing, I don´t know if "flap fairing" is the correct name in English, but I know that these elements are used as guide rails for the flaps to roll in and out.

Cheers!
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

Danny

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 6):
So I tried a different crop (haven't done anything else to it):

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=75cropwb6.jpg

How does it look now?

Personally I like the original crop better.