digital-cavu

Stolen Photo

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:26 am

Hey everybody. I need some advice.

Way back in September of 2004, a company contacted me requesting permission to use a photo of mine in a video they were making for their 75th anniversary. I granted that permission so long as I received a credit for the photo and a copy of the video. Silly of me to be nice and just grant permission, but the request was respectful and I felt it a nice gesture.

If you're interested, the photo is here:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?id=676499

I never received the video, so I don't know if they bothered to give me credit.

I have sent three emails - one to the original requestor, and subsequently two others to corporate officers as high as the V.P. of Marketing and Sales, now requesting monetary payment for the photo (because they didn't follow through with their part of the agreement). But, not too suprisingly, they do not respond.   

What are my options? If there's anyone out there with experience like this, or has a legal background, I would be very much interested in hearing your perspective.

Thanks....

Del

[Edited 2006-11-11 02:30:26]
United States Navy submarine sailor turned aviation photography geek.

QantasA332

RE: Stolen Photo

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 am

Try giving them a call. Emails can be ignored; one-to-one conversations can't (unless of course they just hang up on you, in which case there's not a whole lot you can do, especially if you didn't set out any actual contract, as such...).

tappan

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:05 pm

They probably could not stop high fiving and congratulating each other at the deal you gave them in the first place that they probably just forgot they owed you a tape and a credit.
Charge them next time...They don't work for free.....Neither should you. Even as a hobbyist, this is a major company..They are expecting eo be charged.
Mark G

CalgaryBill

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:30 pm

You have no recourse until you can prove that they used the photo. The fact that they used your material is irrelevant if they didn't use the picture.

Is there any chance the video is available in a public venue you could access (gift shop, media kit, etc) so you could see it without all the hassle of tracking it through company channels? It might be quicker and less stressful.

Likely all you'll get out of this is a lesson learned.

B

9V

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:44 pm

Quoting Digital-cavu (Thread starter):
What are my options?

Forget it. It's one photo but learn from it. Maybe next time you won't be so trusting and giving away images without getting paid.

digital-cavu

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 pm

All of your comments are helpful. Thanks guys.

I thought about trying to find the video, but haven't taken it for action yet. It's a good idea. Maybe I'll have a buddy who's connected with the U.S. Press ask for it.

Thanks everyone.
United States Navy submarine sailor turned aviation photography geek.