pilotntrng

Why Have A First Screening?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:09 am

Why is there a first screening? It makes absolutly no sense and wastes those screeners time, I believe. I just had 3 pics make it through the "first screening" and then got rejected after a week of sitting there. I have to admit that I get a little excited when one of my photos make it here, even though its getting harder and harder to do so. If the pics are bad in the first place, have those who ultimatly have the decision to accept or reject decide.
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

ThierryD
Crew

RE: Why Have A First Screening?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Thread starter):
Why Have A First Screening?

To have some people open threads with questions which have already been answered and discussed a billion times.
A quick look in the search section would help...  Yeah sure

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

NIKV69

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:18 am

Seriously. The screening process is well known here and it's the way they want it. Everyone has been there and it is frustrating but it's how it is. Unless it is an instant add it gets screened my multiple screening so instead of using the negative energy and getting worked up look at the rejection and imoprove on it.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

pilotntrng

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:25 am

that was a lot help, thanks for wasting space, thierry.

another question, well actually two. 1) why is there an appeal option? Doesn't make a difference anyway.

and 2) do some of you that post in these forums get off on other's mistakes?

NIKV69

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 3):
why is there an appeal option

The appeal option is a good tool. If you do feel your pic was rejected in error you can get a head screener or Johan to look at it. BUT. You do have do some prescreeing yourself and not waste the time of the crew if your photo was rejected for a valid reason.

do some of you that post in these forums get off on other's mistakes

No, though some may appear to be heartless if you do some reading between the lines you will see that the words are posted to help you, not hurt you. As always you can post your work here and ask questions and screeners and other experienced photogs will give you good advice. Try it sometime.

pilotntrng

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:47 am

thanks Nik for the advice, I certainly will try it next time. I do honestly try to prescreen myself. I know I don't have a very good acceptance rate, but I do sit down and use adobe photoshop 7.0 and critique each photo I submit.

NIKV69

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 5):
thanks Nik for the advice, I certainly will try it next time. I do honestly try to prescreen myself. I know I don't have a very good acceptance rate, but I do sit down and use adobe photoshop 7.0 and critique each photo I submit.

You read this topic?
Masterclass: JPG And Raw Workflow

Awesome insight on editing techiques here.

maiznblu_757

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:02 am

Thierry,

What was the point of posting that? It would have been just as easy to help let the thread starter know why the screening procedure is the way it is and then kindly let him know about the search option to see more on the subject as its been discussed in the past.

JeffM

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 1):
To have some people open threads with questions which have already been answered and discussed a billion times.
A quick look in the search section would help...

Ditto. Try the search function.

1) why is there an appeal option? Doesn't make a difference anyway.

Sure it does.

2) do some of you that post in these forums get off on other's mistakes?

LOL... well, you yourself said you get excited....

Quoting PilotNTrng (Thread starter):
I have to admit that I get a little excited

Seems like you just wanted to rant a little....

ThierryD
Crew

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 7):
What was the point of posting that?

I assumed that someone with almost 500 photos in the db and 400 posts in the forum would be aware of the search function and given the multitude of times the screening subject had already been treated in the forums would know how it is handled.
After the first 3 sentences it sounded like just another "The screening process is crap - let's change it" thread and I really can't stand those anymore.

that was a lot help, thanks for wasting space, thierry.

another question, well actually two. 1) why is there an appeal option? Doesn't make a difference anyway.

and 2) do some of you that post in these forums get off on other's mistakes?

- The matter of wasting space is just a matter of point of view.  Wink
- The appeal function has been explained by Nicholas and is indeed a good option when used properly
- and no normally nobody gets off at someone's mistakes in the forum but then there are times when one has to open the relief valve. NO personal offence intended.  Wink

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

f4wso

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:50 pm

I think of the screening process as three layers of sifting. None is more or less important than the other two. The filters are human so there is an appeal process. I have had some accepted so I think they get some thoughtful consideration.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work