eadster

Motive Question...

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:55 am

Hey all,

As I struggle with understanding "motive" reasons at times, I need some help in observing where the motive problem is with this shot..?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20061206_vh-wiq.jpg

Any ideas folks?

Martin

linco22

RE: Motive Question...

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:58 am

Hi Martin,

Stunning shot, you really feel like you're in the cockpit!

The only issue I can see here are the reflections on the window.

Hope this helps

Regards
Colin

eadster

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:36 am

Thats what I thought too, Colin, but had this accepted not that long ago that had window reflections...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin Eadie

I can't seem to see why (the first shot mentioned) is a motive thing...

Chukcha

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:42 am

Martin, just a thought, but... It seems to me that in the second shot the main stress of the composition is upon the inside of the plane. In the rejected photo, the outside view seems to carry more "composition load", it just seems more important part of the picture than in the second one.

acontador

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 am

Hi Martin,

Just my  twocents  :
When you just open the picture, my first reaction was that there is something odd with the leveling. Obviously, the plane is not horizontal, and that makes it look strange or not pleasing enough to the eye with such a perfect horizon in the background. I don't know if I explained myself understandably...
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

eadster

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 3):
the outside view seems to carry more "composition load", it just seems more important part of the picture

Andrei, I never thought of it that way. I left a bit of the outside in the view as I was hoping it would show more of the crosswind landing...

Quoting Acontador (Reply 4):
When you just open the picture, my first reaction was that there is something odd with the leveling

Yeah, I thought I had the Horizon as level as I could but wanted to leave the cockpit a little off like it is, again hoping for a feel for the crosswind landing.

I guess another shot that will go down as an unknown...

Philthy

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Too much plane in it, Martin...or perhaps not enough.

Philthy

eadster

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Quoting Philthy (Reply 6):
Too much plane in it, Martin...or perhaps not enough.

Clearly I'm not the only one confused...!

linco22

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Martin,

A screener input may help. To be honest I think the composition you've choosen is good, as it shows the whole scene so to speak. As to wether the screeners buy it, and the refelction isn't an issue, well that remains to be seen!

Still worth a try in my opinion!

Regards
Colin

eadster

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 8):
A screener input may help.

That's what I was hoping for but its hard to get one these days... I'm not going to appeal, as most other times, I've asked the question but get different reasons. If I get a response before it hits the bottom of the list then great, but if not then its another one for the mystery pile...

Chukcha

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:58 pm

Martin, what I mean, is that when I look at this picture, my eyes are drawn first to the upper part of the image, to the outside of the plane, and only after that to the panel that almost seems to play a secondary role. In the second picture, however, the brightly lit panel draws attention straight away, and only afterwards I start looking at the window and at what is outside. In the second shot, window reflections just don't matter. In the first one, they kind of "get in the way".

Still, I don't understand why it would cause a 'motive' rejection. But then again, I'm not a screener. Maybe it was not the reflections at all that caused the rejection...