JakTrax
Topic Author

Photo Usage Request - What To Do?

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:58 am

Hi all,

I received the following email today and am unsure what to do.

Hi Karl,

My name is Paul Sheehan - I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I am an aviation historian and author and am at present writing a book on all QF aircraft since 1920.

Your photo of the QF 707 at Southend on airliners.net is terrific! and I'd really like to get your permission to use it in my book if you are agreeable.

Please email me to let me know.

Many thanks,
Paul Sheehan

ps you may like to have a look at my first book on my publishers website,
www.transpressnz.com which was entyitled "The Aircraft of Air NZ and affiliates since 1940"

I'm very flattered of course and amazed at the feedback I have received from what is my first upload to A.net. What should I do under the circumstances? I'm familiar with photo sales to magazines but I imagine this to be different - shall I offer the image for free and ask for a copy of the book or is this bad etiquette?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

cosec59

RE: Photo Usage Request - What To Do?

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:10 am

Karl,
I've had a similar E mail from this chap. I gave him my price but he declined. He wasn't prepared to pay for a photo which he intends to publish in a book in order to make money for himself. He wanted the pic for free.
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:17 am

I must admit I'm not adverse to offering it for free, however I was wondering whether or not this is considered bad practice by the aviation photog community.

If I did offer it for free, would a request for a copy of the book be too much to ask?

Karl

ptrjong

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:23 am

Ask whatever you want for it, or give it away - just how you feel.
A copy certainly is a very, very reasonable thing to ask I would say, even if this book is a labour of love that you''d like to support.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

tappan

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:31 am

When we all have e-mails like this and want to share them. PLEASE erase the guy's name..it is not respectful or ethical. He mailed it to you not to 1000's of airliners.net members..
Mark Garfinkel

Ryan h

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:05 am

Personally I would allow him to use the photo for free and a copy of the book would be adequate compensation in my eyes.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

G-CIVP

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:27 am

Do what your happy with. Here's my two cents. The book is primarily research, with very little if any commercial profit, so I would let him have it for free and be happy with the photo credit.

CalgaryBill

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:13 am

I'd give it to him either for a copy of the book or a small fee. I wouldn't do it for free, but bear in mind that he's going to need many photo's, possibly hundreds, and these books don't make much money. So the per photo rate he can afford to pay will be low.

B

Lanas

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Karl

I´d ask for a copy of the book. It´s an adequate balance, I believe. A copy of the book will not be for free, since he´ll have to pay for the book that he is sending to you and also the mail/shipping fares. I think it´s a fair deal.  Wink

Cheers!
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien