LGW
Topic Author

MUC Trip?

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone give an opinion on MUC for a short photography trip? For some reason it appeals more than FRA as an airport and city, also a bit easier to get to for me but wondered if anyone can advise whether it would be worth a trip?

I'd be looking at June/July probably a weekend as the hotels seem cheaper then, and would almost definately hire a car.

Any info on hotels, spots and general advise on whether to go to MUC or whether I should head to FRA would be much appreciated.

JakTrax

RE: MUC Trip?

Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am

I have been to Germany five times this year photographing - including Munich and Frankfurt. Both have great photo opportunities but you're kidding yourself if you think MUC can match FRA's traffic! MUC is great early morning but becomes slow and repetitious by the afternoon, whereas FRA chucks surprises at you all day. Also, some of MUC's exotic visitors, such as the China Eastern A340-600, are a) infrequent, i.e. only once/twice a week, and b) just as easily seen and photographed at FRA. In addition, at the height of summer (the time you're looking at) the sun will give you more photography hours at FRA - from first light until sunset, to be exact!

Karl

jhribar

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:00 am

For me personally FRA is more appealing because of the variety of Aircrafts.
MUC might offer some more photo spots though.

If we speak cities, then of course you want to be heading to Munich!

So it depends on what will be the weighting for each of these points.
If aviation is your priority I'd go for FRA...

just my 2C

J
AirTeamImages

Rotate

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 1):
but you're kidding yourself if you think MUC can match FRA's traffic!

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Both have nice spots, chances missing some interesting traffic are higher at MUC.

I would go for FRA.

Robin
ABC

LGW
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:06 pm

I've read of a few issues with FRA like I think the rwy 18 spot saying if its a weekend getting a parking space is hard and if you don't have a ladder you may lose out? If I go at a weekend in the summer with no ladder it won't impact on my chances of the shots I want will it?

Cheers

Ben

Granite

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:10 am

Ben

I thought you were coming up to ABZ?

Regards

Gary

LGW
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:27 am

Gary,

I am, in a couple of months I'll have been at BA long enough to get staff travel so can come up on the cheap, will drop you an email when I'm coming.

Ben

Granite

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:38 am

Hi Ben

No problem. Just let me know.

Hope the fog has lifted with you. Beautiful clear and frosty day up here. Off to the airport tomorrow so please send us a 767 or 777 to clear the backlog!

Cheers

Gary

JakTrax

Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:50 pm

The runway 18 platform can get very crowded at weekends but it is the best place after about 14:00. A small step-ladder is useful (I always travel with mine) but not essential - many of the locals just stand on bins or part of the fence.

Best place for the morning is Zeppelinheim, by the way, which offers good approach shots of stuff arriving on 25L (and 25R if your lens is long enough!). If they're using the 07s, the 18 viewing platform is good all day.

If you need directions (you will need a car whichever airport you choose) give me a shout.

Karl