eddl

Phoenix PHX Photography: Some Questions

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:51 am

Hi all,

I am doing a trip to PHX in february (+ LAX & LAS) and have studied all PHX spotting guides extensively. However there are still a few questions left:

1) Can anyone please explain the runway operations? Is it basically mixed-mode (like FRA & LAX) or seperated: landings in the north, takeoffs in the south and vice versa (e. g. LHR)?

2) What bridge crossing (Tango & Sierra west / Romeo east) sees the most traffic when either runways 25/26 or runways 07/08 are in use?

3) Which terminal parking garage (T3, T4) do you prefer?

That's all ... I might add a few questions if they come to mind.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Phil / EDDL

[Edited 2007-01-05 20:51:52]

NIKV69

RE: Phoenix PHX Photography: Some Questions

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:17 am

I loved 4 when I was there. When you are you going to be in LAS? Drop me a PM I will prob be out there.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

phxplanes

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:28 am

Quoting EDDL (Thread starter):
1) Can anyone please explain the runway operations? Is it basically mixed-mode (like FRA & LAX) or seperated: landings in the north, takeoffs in the south and vice versa (e. g. LHR)?

The north runway 8-26 is mainly used for landings and occasional departures when the airport is less busy. On the south side 25R-7L(runway closest to the terminals) is used almost exclusivly for departures. 25L-7R is used mainly for landings.

2) What bridge crossing (Tango & Sierra west / Romeo east) sees the most traffic when either runways 25/26 or runways 07/08 are in use?

It actually varies a lot, when 25/26 is in use they usually use romeo to line up all the traffic. If its not to busy the will use tango/seirra. Tango sierra is probably your best bet because airplanes are always crossing there no matter what runway is in use.

I like T4 just because its right above HP/US and WN so there is a lot more going on down below then at T3.

Hopefully that helps

scbriml

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:24 am

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

eddl

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting Phxplanes (Reply 2):

The north runway 8-26 is mainly used for landings and occasional departures when the airport is less busy. On the south side 25R-7L(runway closest to the terminals) is used almost exclusivly for departures. 25L-7R is used mainly for landings.

It actually varies a lot, when 25/26 is in use they usually use romeo to line up all the traffic. If its not to busy the will use tango/seirra. Tango sierra is probably your best bet because airplanes are always crossing there no matter what runway is in use.

I like T4 just because its right above HP/US and WN so there is a lot more going on down below then at T3.

Hopefully that helps

Brian, thanks a lot!

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 3):
Some useful info in this recent thread:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...62311

Thanks for that link, Steve.

Phil / EDDL

coiah756ca

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:23 am

Definitely go with T4. It is my common shooting area. If you love AA, then go with T3 because that is all your getting if you face the south on T3.

Lately the 7L/R,8 departures have gone on until about 1 or 2pm. All afternoon the landings are usually on 26, 25L/R.

Have a great trip.. The weather has been great lately.  Smile
Long live Denver-STAPLETON. RIP the old and best KDEN

whappeh

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:30 am

I can't wait to get back to PHX with my new lens. I loved shooting from the garage the last time I was there.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

eddl

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 pm

Thanks for you opinion, COIAH756CA.

Quoting COIAH756CA (Reply 5):
Lately the 7L/R,8 departures have gone on until about 1 or 2pm. All afternoon the landings are usually on 26, 25L/R.

Does that mean they switch runway operations at lunchtime from 7/8 to 25/26? In the morning 8 departures, in the afternoon 26 landings? Right?

Definitely go with T4. It is my common shooting area. If you love AA, then go with T3 because that is all your getting if you face the south on T3.

That's what I thought. However with rwy 8 departures in the mornings, wouldn't T3 be the better choice this time of the day?

Have a great trip.. The weather has been great lately.

Thank you ... still a month away ...  Smile

Phil / EDDL