fhlaran

About Some Rejections - Not Another Complain

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi ALL,

I do not usually post here, but I read a lot this (and other) foruns.
Normally we see a lot of threads complaining about rejection motivs, and blablabla.

I come here not to complaim but to ask for apologize to the screeners.

I do not want to be a "screener friend" nor get some "positive points" with this thread, I just felt that I really needed to address to the Screeners - and not for one only neither just for the screeners.

Recently I upgraded my desktop and changed the video card. After installed all again I realize that the image was darker and soft than the usual. I then downloaded again that little A.net Monitor Calibration Program and again calibrated my monitor. But something wasn't good. I was not confortable with the image quality... Then I got a laptop (an HP Pavillion DV5000). Hard to post process images there... Quite oversharpen in overall look and hard to find a nice bright/contrast setting, so I gave up using the laptop to process my photos.

In the meantime I've sent some photos I had processed and looked quite ok for me. Then.. of a 22 photos I got 18 rejection then in another set almost 50% rejected as oversharpened. But wait!! This is not a complain. Just writing the facts.

After the second batch of rejections I discovered why the image was so dark - even video playback was almost impossible to watch with bright and contrast at maximum setting. Then searching in the net for some solution I discover the problem. I don't know why and how, after Media Player 11 installation in the advanced settings there was a checked box that was making all that problem: the "overlay video mix". I check this box out, reboot and WOW!!! My Windows are now with crisp and clean image...

Well, after all that said, I reach the objective of this thread.

I did not realize that this function would turn image quality so down that the overall image would appear more soft. Thus I was induced to over sharpen the photos since the image were quite soft then really was.

So I come here to apologize to the screeners, 'cause I've sent more than 30 photos processed when the monitor were calibrated not as I tought it was, and with that, more than give a lot of work to the screeners I saw my accept ratio fall...

Thanks to the screener/s that screened the last batch of my photos and put the personal comment about over sharpen or be very close to this - and a dust spot over a logo in an aircraft. I like when you send those personal messages about a rejection, so it is easier to correct the problems that passed away and try again.

Thanks for the patience and for the last batch of photos. Hope the next would be ok (in the sharpen matter).

PS.: Sorry for the english I tried to be as clear as possible

Regards
Fabio Laranjeira

NicolasRubio

RE: About Some Rejections - Not Another Complain

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:44 pm

Glad to hear you solved the problem, now I look foward to see some new pictures from you!

I also changed my monitor today (I bought a ViewSonic VG1921wm) and everything seems SO oversharpened... I'll have a tough time editing, for sure...

Cheers,
Nicolas Rubio
Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II