sleekjet

Charging For Pix In A Book

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:57 am

Are there any guidelines y'all follow when selling shots for a book? With regards to how much to charge, I mean?
II Cor. 4:17-18

JakTrax

RE: Charging For Pix In A Book

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:20 am

I recently donated a photo to an author for use in an Australian publication, on the understanding that I get a free copy of the finished book.

I guess it depends on how much you want to charge, whether the author can afford or not and how much you want to see your pic in print. It was no skin off my nose to give the pic for free, especially seeing as I'm doubtful that the book will sell in great numbers and recoup its costs.

Karl

jorge1812

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 1):
I recently donated a photo to an author for use in an Australian publication, on the understanding that I get a free copy of the finished book.

Same here for a book of an guy from Singapore few months back.

There might be guidlines but you should judt follow your personal preferences. I always ask what the are willing to pay.

Georg

CalgaryBill

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:02 am

It depends on the photo and the book. If you've got the greatest shot ever of the plane the author needs, that wold be worth a bit. If you took one of the 250 mid-day side views of the plane, probably not worth as much.

Ditto for the book. A book with broad appeal will sell more copies, a book about a specific type may sell very few copies but that alone could be a good reason to tie your name to the book.

B