ZBBYLW
Topic Author

What Video Camera Should I Buy?

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:56 am

Hey guys, while I am not going to be taking still photos with this camera, I am looking for a video camera that has excellent quality in order to film formation flying and the like. One feature that I would really want is a helmet cam type thing which I can attach to my head set. Anyone know what would be good things to look for, good camera to buy?

I do realize this is not about still photography, but I still thought this would be the most appropriate forum to post in, Thanks.

Cheers Chris
Keep the shinny side up!

flamedude707

RE: What Video Camera Should I Buy?

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:26 am

I recently bought the Panasonic PV-GS180 camcorder for my highschool film club, and it is an EXCELENT camera for the price. It has 3CCD's which produces color accuracy equal to profesional cameras. It is about $300-350.
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted.

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Thanks, does it have a spot where you can hook in a helmet cam into??
Keep the shinny side up!

edoca

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Flamedude707 (Reply 1):
the Panasonic PV-GS180 camcorder

Completely agree, I bought that exact camera as well and it's great value.

I assume you want to hook up a helmet cam to a camcorder and use the latter to record the images of the helmet cam?

The GS180 has a MIC IN, an AV/Headset OUT, USB, DV (Firewire) and S-Video OUT. As far as I know the firewire means that you are able to record external video on the camera's tape. The source of course needs to have Firewire OUT capability. Is that what you mean? I'd say almost all camcorders nowadays have a DV/Firewire port. Probably best to have a look at http://helmetcamcentral.com

Jan Mogren

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Quoting Edoca (Reply 3):
I'd say almost all camcorders nowadays have a DV/Firewire port.

Yes, but not necessarily for INput, sometimes just output.

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:39 am

Hey thanks guys, I will go take a look at this GS180, however as Jan Mogren has said, they need input as well as output. It is proving to be very difficult to find video camera's that have the input. I walked into future shop and they had ZERO camera's with the DV input.
Keep the shinny side up!