ptrjong

Police, Politie, Polizei?

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:13 am

Hi all,

Tonight I got a picture accepted of a Dutch Police Cessna. I noted though that the 'airline' has been changed from Politie to Netherlands - Police.
Although it does seem quite logical to me to use the Country - Service format for all government institutions, I thought that in fact Politie was correct according to the database rules. For example, there are only a few photos saying Germany - Police and hundreds saying Polizei. So I thought that the Country - Service was perhaps only for services using military markings, such as France - Gendarmerie.
Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

By the way, some other enties for Dutch Police aircraft say Korps Landelijke Politiediensten - that's the National Police Branches Corps which includes Police Aviation. I think Politie is much more to the point - that's what it says on the aircraft.

Thanks,

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

ThierryD
Crew

RE: Police, Politie, Polizei?

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:27 pm

Never really thought about the issue but keeping it to an international standard (English in A.net's case) seems to be the best solution and maybe the database editors are changing it to this at the moment. Imagine our Chinese or Russian colleagues writing the airlines in their native language... would look quite messy after a while.
So standard English as present everywhere else on the site seems to be a good thing hence in your case Peter, Countryname - Police.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

ptrjong

RE: Police, Politie, Polizei?

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:43 pm

That makes sense Thierry, I agree.

I'm also wondering what info to provide with my own photo of this aircraft:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Biscove

It's an ex East German AF aicraft wearing a red star but I don't feel it's 'Russia - Air Force'.
With David's picture the 'airline' is 'Motortechnica museum' - does the 'Museum' title warrant this?

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)