EGBJ
Topic Author

Help Editing

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 am

Hey there!

Well on Saturday I finally got one of Flybe's new Embraer 190's. Weather was very poor and I was wondering if anyone could help me edit a pic.

My attempt....

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/wannabepilot/be1.jpg

Original (just resized)...

Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 798 File size: 577kb

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer  Smile

Rich

9V

RE: Help Editing

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting EGBJ (Thread starter):
Weather was very poor

Weather kills it. Nothing you can do in those situations apart from grit your teeth and curse and hope for a better opportunity next time. I'm not even going to attempt to edit it.  Smile

LIPH

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:57 am

Your attempt version looks good. You should try to show us the edited version but in original size....

Ciao
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

Lanas

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:16 am

Hi Rich

The crop in your edit doesn´t look appealing. You should have left more space below the aircraft and above the fin. It´s too tight!
Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

Psych

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:52 am

Hello Rich.

I would agree with Lanas about the crop - as you have it, it is uncomfortably tight. You need to allow the subject to 'breathe' a bit more, as in this crop of your original:

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 400 File size: 186kb
Rich's Photo

You need to bear in mind when composing your shot in the viewfinder that - for A.net submission - you would need to ensure that the verticals on the shot are vertical. Thus you may need to rotate the image in editing. If the crop in camera is already pretty tight then any rotation may mean that when you crop that, it becomes too tight. Thus - in this example - that is the maximum space possible to leave above the fin; still slightly tight for me.

As regards overall quality, such lighting conditions are always going to work against you. It is a bit of a non-starter for submission here, unless something of the poor weather somehow enhances the motive - e.g. spray on take off etc. To comment fully on the quality of your edit we would need to see it at full size - e.g 1024 wide.

Cheers.

Paul

dc10tim

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:34 am

Whether a.net standards or not, I'm not sure, but I've had shots accepted taken in such bad light. Take a look at the histogram and maybe up the midtones and see what you come up with. DoF seems ok and there doesn't seem to be a major grain problem with this shot.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting DC10Tim (Reply 5):
Whether a.net standards or not, I'm not sure, but I've had shots accepted taken in such bad light.

Same here. I don't quite understand this notion that all pics taken in bad weather, less than ideal light, or perhaps even backlit don't deserve any further attention after transfering from them from the camera to the computer. I say no matter what, play with it, see what you can get out of it, and heck give it a shot here at airliners.net. The crop is the big issue with your photo, not the weather. Crop aside, I see no reason why, based on the conditions, your shot wouldn't stand a fair chance in the queue. I think it came out well.

I really enjoy this forum, and I always appreciate the feedback. But as I have said before, often times this forum tears photos apart more so than the screeners. I have had photos written off immediately by members of the forum, but accepted by the screeners. Take all the advice you can get from the experienced members around here, but in the end, make your own judgement. If you really want to know if a photo stands a chance, upload it. You'll find out soon enough.  Smile
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EGBJ
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 am

Thanks a lot for all your advice  Smile ....I am going to BHX again this weekend so hopefully I can catch her in better weather Big grin