flamedude707

Spotting Inside Lhr Terminals

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 am

I will be transiting through LHR soon, and wanted to know if anyone could point out some good spots for photography or viewing in the terminals. I will be ariving on United in terminal 3 and then transfer over to Terminal 4 for departure. Are there any spots in those two terminals good for spotting? How about 1 and 2 terminals. Is it worth going over to those terminals for some spotting? I have about 3 hours in between flights.

Thanks
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted.

philb

RE: Spotting Inside Lhr Terminals

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:49 am

Terminal 3 is useless. Almost every view available is from a gate area and then only of the immediate ramp. Terminal 4 has airside views from the airside area once through security. You will need at least an hour to transfer between 3 and 4 and check in so Terminals 1 and 2 are not on - not that there are any views until you get airside in those terminals.

JohnJ

RE: Spotting Inside Lhr Terminals

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 1):
Terminal 3 is useless. Almost every view available is from a gate area and then only of the immediate ramp.

At both ends of the Terminal 3 concourse used by American and United, there are a couple of big windows with some decent photography angles. The problem is that the way the terminal is constructed, arriving international passengers can mingle with outgoing passengers before going through passport control - which I understand is not an optimal situation. They try to minimize this by not allowing outgoing passengers into the concourse until their flight is ready for boarding, meaning that anyone roaming around outside a gate area stands out like a sore thumb. On an outbound AA flight last year, I decided to head for the concourse about an hour early instead of sticking around the duty-free area. Bad idea. I was snagged as soon as I stepped off the moving walkway onto the concourse (I was just walking, didn't even have my camera out) and told I'd have to go back to the waiting area. This meant I had to clear security once again - it was transit security with no wait but still a hassle.

On an earlier T3 visit I was told by an AA employee that photography is prohibited there. So, while you might get lucky with some views, it will be a challenge to spend any time with your camera out.