donder10

Newark Photo Spots

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:03 am

Hi guys,
I'll be spending some time in NJ in a few months time and would like to make it over to EWR for a few hours.Could you point out where the best spots are around the airport?A lot of photos seem to have been taken airside,are the airport authorities comfortable with people taking photos from the gates area?

Thanks a lot,Alex

ANITIX87

RE: Newark Photo Spots

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:14 am

The long term parking lot at the north side is great for 22L and R arrivals, and can provide some good shots of 29 arrivals, too. The best spot for 4L and R arrivals is the IKEA parking lot on the other side of the highway (I-95). There is a shuttle bus to link the two locations, though I don't remember if it is free or not.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

donder10

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:35 am

Thanks for that TIS. Are most of the movements on 22L/R.The cross runway looks rather short so I guess all the heavy movements use 22L/R?Will one runway be used for departures and one for arrivals or does EWR operate a 'mixed mode' operations?

Thanks again.

airplanenut

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:45 am

At EWR, basically everything but regional jets and smaller will be landing/departing on the 22/4s. 22L/4R is the landing runway, and 22R/4L departure, depending on the winds. 29/11 will be used by the smaller planes, mostly for landing, as needed, unless there are really, really strong gusts, in which case some larger planes may get access.
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

LAXspotter

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:26 am

How is that spot near the IKEA? I met some spotters from EWR, they called it Guerilla photography? Shoot and get in the car.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

aagold

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 am

That is the problem with Ikea ... if security spots you they call the local PD and they respond, check your id and then tell you to leave. So, it's not a good place. Of course some are lucky and don't get spotted for some time. The long term lot at the top of the 22s is good, but you have to be careful there also. If security spots you they tell you to leave. EWR isn't the most photographer friendly airport.

Art

Smalbany

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Check out this site:

www.nycaviation.com

Do a search of the forums or register and make a post. The guys there will have some advice for you.

Considering the hassle that many report at EWR, you may be better off taking a drive over to LGA or JFK

727LOVER

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:53 am

I saw on CNN a few months ago, that the most vulnerable area in the country for terroist attacks....IN THE COUNTRY!...is the area around EWR.
You've got the airport, a rail line, the port, a major road artery, & a chemical plant. All within a 2 mile area!
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

airplanenut

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting AAGOLD (Reply 5):
That is the problem with Ikea ... if security spots you they call the local PD and they respond, check your id and then tell you to leave. So, it's not a good place. Of course some are lucky and don't get spotted for some time. The long term lot at the top of the 22s is good, but you have to be careful there also. If security spots you they tell you to leave. EWR isn't the most photographer friendly airport.

Art

You're telling me! I went once and got in some trouble... figured the plane I wanted to see came when I was talking to the cop. Luckily, he answered the questions for me so he didn't have much paperwork, so it could have been worse. Oh, and it was November, 2001  embarrassed 
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

727LOVER

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:07 am

Art, if you don't mind answering:

where did you shoot these?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Art Brett - Photovation Images
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.