Alibo5NGN
Topic Author

Motiv Reject?

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:14 pm

This shot was rejected for motiv. I have seen shots with far less aircraft showing in the DB.

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...tedlvlN134DLDeltaLasVegas1Anet.jpg

Your advice or opinions on this shot would be appreciated.

Thanks.
It takes knowledge to make a career. It takes wisdom to live a life.

Psych

RE: Motiv Reject?

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Hello Ken.

These 'motive' threads can be informative if discussed with the right attitude.

I think the issue for you here is probably the combination of 'amount of aircraft structure in the photo', together with the landscape/view we are seeing out of the window. Maybe we can get further clarity, but it seems to me clear that the view out of the window IS important when assessing the overall motive of a shot from the cabin - irrespective of the aircraft itself. This can take us into very murky, subjective territory - but that is the way it seems. Thus - here - I wonder whether the screener(s) felt the backdrop was just not 'interesting' enough - no airport clearly visible; no interesting cloudscape; no mountains/beautiful vista, areas in shadow and thus a bit 'gloomy' etc. All depending on your point of view of course. I reckon it was the combination of the above which led to the decision.

All the best.

Paul

dendrobatid

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Nicely put Paul and spot on in your interpretation.

Taken from Thierry's guide is this :-
This is the most subjective rejection reason, sometimes simply that a photograph does not balance well, an unusual crop or similar. This rejection also occurs at times when a photographer tries something new but the screeners do not feel that the final image has been successful. Reasons (or excuses) for any such failure are not important, only the final image is considered.

Also well put (I would say that as I wrote it !). At it's worst extreme, motive can simply mean uninteresting I guess and, unlike a lot of yours Kenneth, that is the case here. It is an urban sprawl with a bit of aircraft, fun to watch, not to show. Now, if you had been low over the strip..........
Mick Bajcar

ThierryD
Crew

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 1):
Thus - here - I wonder whether the screener(s) felt the backdrop was just not 'interesting' enough - no airport clearly visible; no interesting cloudscape; no mountains/beautiful vista, areas in shadow and thus a bit 'gloomy' etc

checkmark  There's just no real highlight to be seen outside. In addition to that the picture has some quality issues (grain and blurriness probably caused by dirty windows and it could use some CW rotation).

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Alibo5NGN
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot Paul and Mike for your clarifications. It makes sense to me. I learn something new each day. Uninteresting and boring shots is another factor that should be considered when uploading a photo.

Thanks again.

Ken.

viv

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:23 pm

It's a photo of Las Vegas, taken from an aircraft, although a bit of the engine got in the way..
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

JeffM

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Alibo5NGN (Thread starter):
Your advice or opinions on this shot would be appreciated.

It's boring. Your eye wanders around a hazy scene looking for an object of interest, of which there are none. The engine looks odd at the angle it is shown as well.

Valid rejection.

Alibo5NGN
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:15 am

Thanks Thierry for your input.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 6):
It's boring.

To JeffM, I also thank you,
As harsh and as nasty your dry critiques may be, you provide a very useful service on this site. For me it has galvanized me to do better and to improve my skills. In many ways you remind me of Simon Cowell's role in the US show called "American Idol". He is generous with his harsh criticism of budding artist wannabes and many of them have made it by proving him wrong. In many ways, you are the Simon Cowell of Anet. Keep up the good work my friend.

Ken.  cool   weightlifter 

photopilot

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Viv (Reply 5):
It's a photo of Las Vegas, taken from an aircraft, although a bit of the engine got in the way..

The most valid comment of this thread.

locsta

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Alibo5NGN (Reply 7):
In many ways, you are the Simon Cowell of Anet.

What a funny quote. You should put this in your sig spot Jeff.  bigthumbsup 
Missed 4 chasing 1