JohnJ
Topic Author

Cabin Shot Virgin

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:04 am

Although I find some of the cabin shots posted here on A.net to be interesting, in general I'm much more interested in seeing the outside of an aircraft, and I have yet to attempt to upload a cabin shot here. However, I'm flying on Air Canada's new 777-300ER next Monday, and I thought that would make an interesting cabin shot. As an experiment I made my first-ever attempt at a cabin shot yesterday on a Pinnacle CRJ - the flight attendant was far more interested in her knitting than anything else going on in the cabin, so I got bold.

I did not use the flash on my 300D for obvious reasons, and the results were unfortunately horrible. I stood at the rear of the cabin and shot down the aisle. Most of the window shades were open, causing the areas around the window to be overexposed, while the center of the cabin was underexposed. I set my ISO to 200, but even with that and f5.6 my shutter speed was only 1/25, a bit too slow for handheld for my hands on a moving aircraft. Prior to my 777 trip, any pointers anyone can give me for a simple cabin shot will be welcome (or a link to a previous post covering this in detail as I couldn't find anything helpful).

Thanks,

John

ake0404ar

RE: Cabin Shot Virgin

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:07 am

John,

I have cabin shots online (at a.net) which were taken with 1/15 sec and below, especially during low light situation and they came out well. (hand held)

If you don't have a steady hand, look for something to support your hand. Lean against something or use a seat to support your camera.

Vasco

JohnJ
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:49 am

I got my chance for my cabin photos, and I was "blessed" with a whopping 1/6" shutter speed. This is about the best I can do - any chance of this getting in? If not, I have a whole mess of cabin pix for my personal collection.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/ac_cfitl_ain_2146.jpg

While we're at it, I also tried my hand at for my first cockpit shot. Very tough to get anything approaching a decent image with all that light flooding in the windows:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/ac_cfitl_ain_2214.jpg

JeffM

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 2):
This is about the best I can do - any chance of this getting in?

Looks like an 0 for 2 situation.