mhodgson

Reducing Size Without Reducing Quality

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:16 pm

I have started editing my photos to sizes larger than my normal 1024x683px, however I'm finding that many of them subsequently exceed 1mb in size, which is too large for Anet standards. I edited a photo at 1400 x 933, but it was too large for anet. Using the photoshop resize tool, I made it 1200 x 807px, which reduced the size to under 1mb, however I felt it also substantially reduced the quality.

In photoshop I always save them at maximum quality (12); if I were to reduce this a couple of notches, would it have any noticeable effect on quality? Or is there a better method than this?

Thanks for any advice!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

boeingfreak

RE: Reducing Size Without Reducing Quality

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi,

Quoting Mhodgson (Thread starter):
if I were to reduce this a couple of notches, would it have any noticeable effect on quality?

Of coure it does reduce the imagequality! I dunno what version of Photoshop you are using but Photoshop CS2 has a pretty neat option called "save for web". There is a slider that allows you to adjust the imagequality from 100 (very low or no compression = very good quality) down to 1 (very much compression = low quality). I used it for some of my a.net uploads and I'm satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps,
Florian  wave 

mhodgson

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:21 pm

I use 7, which has the same feature - I'll give it a go and see how it works - thanks!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

CalgaryBill

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Thread starter):
I edited a photo at 1400 x 933, but it was too large for anet. Using the photoshop resize tool, I made it 1200 x 807px, which reduced the size to under 1mb, however I felt it also substantially reduced the quality.

Did you downsize the 1400x933, or did you downsize your original high-rez image? If you go directly from the high-rez image to 1200x800, I don't think you'd see much difference in quality between the two smaller images, unless there are some really fine details...

B

mhodgson

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 3):
Did you downsize the 1400x933, or did you downsize your original high-rez image?

From the 1400 version - since then I have decided started again with the image, and just changed the compression to 11 when saving the .jpg - could see no noticeable difference, though I'd imagine if the image was leaning towards graininess then it would have a much greater effect.