clickhappy

Good Read On Fake Memory Cards

Sat May 05, 2007 12:28 am

Those buying cheap memory on eBay, beware.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Fake_Memory_Cards

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Good Read On Fake Memory Cards

Sat May 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks Royal,

I will keep that page handy.

-Matt
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

jumbojim747

Sat May 05, 2007 6:03 pm

I have been stung by the fake stuff
I bought a 4 gig card that was very slow i sold it to someone for a fraction of the price that i got it for they where happy as they dont shoot a lot of frames per second.
But i wont be buying any more cards from Ebay thats for sure
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

Ryan h

Sat May 05, 2007 11:16 pm

A friend of dad's was caught by this when he bought some cards in China. The packaging said 4 GB, but when he formatted the card, it was only 128 MB!.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

scbriml

Sun May 06, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 3):
A friend of dad's was caught by this when he bought some cards in China. The packaging said 4 GB, but when he formatted the card, it was only 128 MB!.

Ouch! mad 

The price of memory cards is still falling steadily. I wouldn't bother buying from anywhere other than a reputable source. It's not worth it to try and save just a few £/$/€.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue May 08, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 4):
The price of memory cards is still falling steadily. I wouldn't bother buying from anywhere other than a reputable source. It's not worth it to try and save just a few £/$/€.

With Best Buy and OfficeMax running specials every week, I agree. You also don't need to wait a couple of weeks for it to be shipped from Hong Kong.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Sinlock

Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 4):

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
With Best Buy and OfficeMax running specials every week, I agree. You also don't need to wait a couple of weeks for it to be shipped from Hong Kong.

It's crazy how prices have droped. The other day I picked up a 1Gb Xd card for a Fuji I have for 19.99 with no mail-in rebate crap, last year the same card could not be found for less than $85.

dc10tim

Thu May 10, 2007 5:23 pm

I bet that 99% of people here (myself included) wouldn't be able to tell that one of those cards was fake just given it, without having the comparisons to a genuine card.

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 6):
It's crazy how prices have droped

You're right. The price of genuine cards has dropped massively over the last two years. I bought a "standard" Sandisk CF card about two years ago and payed £70. Now you can get the same card for just over £10.

This is a great website where I get all of my bits from. Very cheap and very reliable:

http://www.picstop.co.uk/

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....