Alibo5NGN
Topic Author

Static Displays At Air Shows

Mon May 14, 2007 2:14 pm

I just came back from my first ever air show this evening. I went to the McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, 2007 Air Show - "Heritage to Horizons". What are Anet rules on static displays at air shows? It was almost impossible for me to take shots of the static aircraft with out including the images of lost mums with baby strollers and vetrans showing off their experiences. Are shots of aircraft with people around the aircraft acceptable so long as no face is showing? How does one avoid the "Common" rejection as many planes in a typical air show are the same ones used around the country or each year? I noticed that some air shows have priority upload at Anet. Are there any such air shows in the US that have such priority at Anet? Any pointers or advice will be appreciated by me and others who have attended or about to attend air shows for the first time.

Thanks and cheers

Ken.
It takes knowledge to make a career. It takes wisdom to live a life.

CalgaryBill

RE: Static Displays At Air Shows

Mon May 14, 2007 2:49 pm

Quoting Alibo5NGN (Thread starter):
It was almost impossible for me to take shots of the static aircraft with out including the images of lost mums with baby strollers and vetrans showing off their experiences.

Get there earlier.

Are shots of aircraft with people around the aircraft acceptable so long as no face is showing?

Are the people distracting in the picture? If the people in the image draw your eye away from the plane or are prominent/recognizable, I wouldn't submit. Are they blocking parts of the aircraft? If they are you'll likely get a motive rejection. It's pretty tough later in the day, especially if they don't have barriers around the aircraft.

I noticed that some air shows have priority upload at Anet. Are there any such air shows in the US that have such priority at Anet?

Nope, and you probably just re-opened an old can of worms.

B

ghostbase

Tue May 15, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 1):
Get there earlier.

Or stay later  Smile

It is surprising how quick the crowds rush for their cars as soon as the display has finished, much better shots are sometimes possible in the hour or two afterwards. I tried this at the 2005 RIAT at RAF Fairford and had an added bonus of some great mid-summer evening lighting conditions, some of these photos were accepted on this site too.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

Alibo5NGN
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 1):
Get there earlier

IMHO, shooting conditions on most mornings is not favorable. At McGuire, it was a waste of time as the displays were backlit by the sun.

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 2):
Or stay later

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Very true! I got my best shots towards the end of the show. The sun was also at it's best and brightest with regards to optimal shooting conditions. The only downside was that access to the inside of some static displays ended about 2 hours before the close of the air show.  cheerful 

dlednicer
Crew

Tue May 15, 2007 2:34 am

I have lots of photos from airshows in the database with people present:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The trick I use now is to wait until the people have cleared your shot and quick hammer off an image or two. When something flies by and everybody surges to the flight line, go to the other end of the display and shoot. When something starts up in the back to leave and everyone surges that way, go to the flight line and catch stuff. Thats how I got these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

Alibo5NGN
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Dlednicer (Reply 4):
The trick I use now is to wait until the people have cleared your shot and quick hammer off an image or two

Thanks David. I found myself doing exactly what you described.  Wink

Chukcha

Tue May 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 2):
Or stay later Smile

checkmark 

Early in the morning the light is often too harsh...

When something flies by and everybody surges to the flight line, go to the other end of the display and shoot.

checkmark  checkmark 

I have lots of photos from airshows in the database with people present

Three out of four pictures you've posted were accepted two years ago, and they are old pictures, too. I dare say, if you took similar pictures today, you'd get 'motiv' and 'people' rejection almost for certain.

This photo of mine was rejected for people:

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Andrei Bezmylov

However, I have a few static display pictures accepted in the DB lately with people in them; like this one, for example:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrei Bezmylov

It's fine as long as the people don't distract from the main subject and not too recognisable...

Cheers,
Andrei

CalgaryBill

Tue May 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 6):
Early in the morning the light is often too harsh...

Sometimes. But most airshows let people in around 8 am while the sun is low and warm (hence the photographers' term "golden hour"), then kick everyone out around 5:30 pm after the show, at which time the sun is still fairly high, bright, and casts harsh shadows. I also find that more people linger around after the show than arrive early, so fewer obstructions.

B

dlednicer
Crew

Tue May 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 6):
Three out of four pictures you've posted were accepted two years ago, and they are old pictures, too. I dare say, if you took similar pictures today, you'd get 'motiv' and 'people' rejection almost for certain.

Probably true, but here are some recent ones with people:

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

sulman

Tue May 15, 2007 4:40 pm

I've only had experience of Fairford, but I have to say in most cases people are not the problem - it's the lighting. Take a good wide lens and get in close, so you've got lots of aircraft in the frame. 3/4 views are good for this; you can fit lots of the aircraft in, with minimal background clutter. Try lots of angles; close is great!

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Trimbee
View Large View Medium

Photo © James Trimbee

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.