AIRBUSRIDER
Topic Author

Screeners Advice Needed And Any Other

Tue May 15, 2007 10:09 pm

http://www.airliners.net/uf/536886629/1179234168Que1Jb.jpg
Hello all, I was wondering if any screeners or photographers could offer any advice on this photo. It is not done yet but almost there I think. This is my second try on this photo it was rejected for soft once before but I have since completely started from scratch and re-edited it. I would appreciate all opinions especially any screeners that might get a chance to look it over........thanks
No Officer, I am not a Terrorist !

dazbo5

RE: Screeners Advice Needed And Any Other

Tue May 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Nice shot but the wing looks a bit soft to me. I think the problem here is the focal point is the background which has given the wing a 'soft' look due to the depth of field not being deep enough to keep the wing in sharp focus. When taking wing shots, I normaly use centre spot focussing and focus on the wing tip. This ensures the wing is in focus and with a big enough apperture, most of the background as well.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

AIRBUSRIDER
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2007 11:49 pm

http://www.airliners.net/uf/536886629/117924035145oFyv.jpg

Updated shot: sharpened the wing some more and did some more tweaking, so what do you guys think? Still hoping for a screener's opinion on this one but any and all advice is greatly appreciated..............Thanks
No Officer, I am not a Terrorist !

CalgaryBill

Tue May 15, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting Dazbo5 (Reply 1):
When taking wing shots, I normaly use centre spot focussing and focus on the wing tip.

Better yet, set the hyperfocal distance manually. A 50mm lens at F8 set to it's hyperfocal distance will give you a sharp image from about 12 feet to infinity. Up the aperature to F11 and the range increases from 8 feet to infinity. Once it's set, you won't have to refocus for the entire flight (unless you want to shoot something closer than 12 feet).

B