airplanenut

Help With A Few Shots/will They Make It?

Wed May 16, 2007 10:41 am

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of these shots stand a chance once edited of making the DB. Recently, I've been having quality issues once I resize shots, and was wondering if you had any advice to keep that from happening, or if it's a product of the original quality. Usually I correct colors/sharpen, then resize, but often, that creates a lot of jaggies, especially on lines.

Anyway, your thoughts on these pictures would be much appreciated. If they won't make it, but you have a suggestion for how to improve the image the next time I take it, I'd love to know that, as well.

Air Tran 737 Engine... motive?

Bahrain Gov't 747-SP... I was getting lots of jaggies once I resized this. That said, even if it never makes the DB, I was so excited to see this plane when it taxied by... my first SP since 2001, when I saw what I thought would be my first and last.

Here's the original for the 747-SP

Rotation overlooking BOS and the Boston Skyline

Boston Skyline... I'm thinking the quality might be too low on this one.

I've noticed my pictures seem to have a bluish hue to them. They were shot with Whitebalance set to "Sun" on my D70. All of the window shots were done with full image metering except. The others I believe were center-weighted.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

Newark777

RE: Help With A Few Shots/will They Make It?

Wed May 16, 2007 2:06 pm

Have you edited these shots at all? At the minimum you have to resize them down to a respectable size. It's hard to comment on the quality with them that large.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

airplanenut

Wed May 16, 2007 2:26 pm

Harry,

Except for the SP, the files are all originals... I'm wondering if they're of the quality worth editing. My biggest problem was resizing them after trying my hand at edits, which is why I posted them full-size... all of my previous attempts, unless I need to spend a lot more time at it, would have been obvious rejections for the quality drop after resizing.

Lanas

Thu May 17, 2007 12:22 am

Jeremy

Look, you should always post the edited versions. It´s much easier to diagnose any quality issues, and you can learn from that how to solve the mistakes you´ve made (if possible, of course).  bigthumbsup 
The engine pic doesn´t look very special to me. I believe that the lighting doesn´t help, because the engine interior is too dark, and also the background objects are somehow distracting.
The 747 shot looks heat-hazy or a bit blurry. Maybe overexposed too. One of the files is way too dark, so I don´t know if it has that much chances.
The window shots are pretty flat and lack some quality. I´d crop both of them, so as to, in the first one, leave out as much sky as possible and try to include every possible pixel depicting the airport. Otherwise it won´t make it, I guess. The motive is not that good. In the second one, try to crop including the whole wing and it would be nice if downtown BOS was included in the pic as well.

Quoting Airplanenut (Thread starter):
Usually I correct colors/sharpen, then resize,

NO!!! Crop and resize first, THEN sharpen.  yes 

Good luck!  thumbsup 

Cheers!  Smile
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

viv

Thu May 17, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Thread starter):
I'm wondering if any of these shots stand a chance once edited

Let's see them, once edited.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

airplanenut

Thu May 17, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Lanas (Reply 3):
NO!!! Crop and resize first, THEN sharpen. yes

Aha... I will try it that way  Smile

boeingfreak

Thu May 17, 2007 5:00 am

Hello Jeremy,
-the AirTran engine definitely will get a motive rejection, maybe dark also.
-The 747SP was taken against the sun and the heat-haze kills it.
-The BOS overview is IMO the best of the four shots you posted, I tried my best with Photoshop:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e226e9bc7e.jpg

But even at 1000 pixels it is very likely to get rejected, the quality just isn't there.
-Boston skyline again taken against the sun and it is a bit blurred.

Florian  wave 

Newark777

Thu May 17, 2007 12:14 pm

Here's my edit of the BOS shot with color corrected. I don't think you can get it acceptable; there also appears to be a refection or two visible.

http://i7.tinypic.com/4mva3xv.jpg

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

airplanenut

Fri May 25, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks for the effort, everyone... guess I'll resign myself to the collection for these...

Jeremy