acontador

Some Prescreening Help Please

Wed May 23, 2007 5:12 am

What do you think of the following two images?

I am worried about motive, as there is this stupid ladder...

Here I am worried about motive (crop) and quality, as this would be my first real night shot.

Please, all your comments are welcomed - thanks!  wave 
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

boeingfreak

RE: Some Prescreening Help Please

Wed May 23, 2007 5:47 am

Hi,
nice shots!
The first one is excellent, very nice angle but I'd put it a bit higher in the frame. Definitely upload it!  Wink

Quality and crop look fine to me on the LAN 767 but it is likely to get rejected for being too dark, I had similar shots rejected with dark.

Cheers,
Florian

Psych

Wed May 23, 2007 7:14 am

Hello Andres.

Some excellent quality shots here from you, as usual. My comments would be as follows:

737 - A very nice, unusual angle you have here. For me the key is whether the equipment is blocking anything, or is too distracting ( hopefully that bright nose will be within limits). My own view would be that the lower set of stairs is actually more distracting than the little ones up by the open door. I couldn't agree that you should put the plane higher in the frame - then it would be a centring problem, in my opinion. In fact, if the original allows, it may be worth trying to crop so that those two other bits of equipment to the left of the large stairs are completely cropped out - that would help on the distraction front, by not having them there on the edge of the photo. With that I feel those stairs are okay, and worth a go - but it will be a subjective call. I know how you like those risks though  wink .

767 - This is an excellent quality shot - well done on that first night photo. I like it, but agree with Florian that there is a significant risk of a dark rejection. That very nicely exposed LAN tail in the background draws attention to the dark fuselage of your main subject.

Take good care.

Paul

acontador

Wed May 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Hi Florian and Paul,

Many thanks for your good advise!  bigthumbsup 
Reg the night picture, that day I was trying out different setting with the camera, but did not realize that I was actually shooting against the light  Sad . Nevertheless, it was a good lesson on night photography, but I will not upload any of these shots.
Too bad about the ladder on the first one, I know  banghead  ! Not too often I get access to the tower...
I also got some feedback by email, and it seems that the ladder is enough to kill the shot motive-wise, so even being risky I will let it go.

Thanks again for your help!
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

Lanas

Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 am

Hi Andrés
Nice shots, as usual, but I´m afraid the 737 one looks a little blurry, and the orange stairs will kill it, IMO, motive-wise.
The 767 is a cracking shot, but it will probably be rejected for dark, since the bright background increases the dark look on the aircraft.  Sad
Keep trying those night shots, you´ll soon get them right, I´m sure.  Wink

Cheers!
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien