dimoko

Time To Take A Step Up.

Sun May 27, 2007 7:25 am

Hello all, i am a major a.net fan, and i love going to airports and spotting, i want to get more into the photography aspect so i need some advice.

i have used the point and shoots, and i have been using a Sony DSC H-1 which can take some nice pictures, but i think its time to get an SLR to take better shots.

a week or so ago i used my brothers D-100 to snap some shots at CLE and i enjoyed using it, but it is only 6.1 megapixels, and i dont think i would spend that much money on a 6.1 megapixel camera.

so if anyone has any advice on a good SLR to start out with, i would appreciate it. then i just need to start hanging around my brother, who is the one with the degree in photography.

thanks a lot.

dave
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

RCoulter

RE: Time To Take A Step Up.

Sun May 27, 2007 7:49 am

Canon Rebel XTI or 30D or even a used 20D.

RCoulter

Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 am

I forgot to add, to also get a lens like a Canon 70-200/100-400L or Sigma 50-500

CalgaryBill

Sun May 27, 2007 8:23 am

If you liked the D100 then check out Nikon's D40, D80 or D200, depending on your budget. Nikon just came out a few months ago with a nice little entry level zoom, the 70-300 AF-S (silent wave motor) and VR (vibration reduction, a stabilized group of lenses inside the lens that reduces the effects of camera shake).

Don't worry about the number of megapixels. Unless you're planning to print larger than 11x14 then 6 megapixels is enough. More megapixels just means more memory required, and it doesn't always translate into a better picture. It's not just how big it is, it's how you use it...  Smile

B

SNATH

Sun May 27, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting Dimoko (Thread starter):
so if anyone has any advice on a good SLR to start out with,

So, I'm also a DSLR newbie, having bought my first one a couple of weeks ago (I ended up getting a Rebel XTi). If you're not aware of it yet, a great resource for camera reviews is this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/

And you should also check out this one too:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Something that RCoulter eluded to is to make sure to get a decent lens. There's really no point in getting a good SLR and putting the cheapest possible lens on it; it will be like buying a Porsche and then fuelling it with tap water. When I was deciding which lens to get for my Canon, I found the following web site very useful (and stay away from the kit lens of the XTi, if possible):

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 3):
Don't worry about the number of megapixels. Unless you're planning to print larger than 11x14 then 6 megapixels is enough.

One advantage that a higher megapixel count does have is that it allows you to crop a bit more while maintaining decent quality. My previous camera was 8MP and it saved my bacon a couple times when I had to do some extra tight crops for a.net.

Regards and good luck in your DSLR search,

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

eadster

Sun May 27, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting SNATH (Reply 4):
http://www.dpreview.com/

Good place to start. Look at ALL options before diving into it. Different brands and models work for different people and more importantly, different budgets.

DeltaAVL

Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm

This thread offers some GREAT advice on cameras:
Help Me Pick Out New Equipment On A Budget (by N243NW Mar 26 2007 in Aviation Photography)

Good luck!
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster