bmibaby737

Sigma 50-500mm Lens Help! Differences

Tue May 29, 2007 1:10 am

Hey guys,

Im wondering if any of you may be able to quickly help me out here by telling me what the difference is between this two models of lens:

APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM
APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX RF

I'm aware what RF, FG & HSM means - but I can't figure out (if much) what the differences are.

Quote:

RF (Rear Focus)
This lens is equipped with a system that moves the rear lens group for highspeed , silent focusing.

DG (DG Lens)
These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.

HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor)
This lens uses a motor driven by ultrasonic waves to provide a quiet, highspeed AF.

Also, would any of you recommend/not recommend this lens? I'd be mainly using it for aviation, air shows / fast moving jets etc.

Thanks for your help.

Bmibaby737

[Edited 2007-05-28 18:10:56]

dvincent

RE: Sigma 50-500mm Lens Help! Differences

Tue May 29, 2007 1:21 am

One's a newer revision of the lens with digital coatings. Other than that and maybe a slight update on the lens cosmetics, they are identical. The original model should do HSM for Nikon and Canon, the only models that don't have HSM are for Minolta and Pentax mounts. Make sure you're getting the right version for your mount.
From the Mind of Minolta

SNATH

Tue May 29, 2007 1:25 am

There's a review of it here, if it helps:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-Lens-Reviews.aspx

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

KMB

Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Thread starter):
Also, would any of you recommend/not recommend this lens? I'd be mainly using it for aviation, air shows / fast moving jets etc

It is a good quality lens with excellent zoom ratio, but is very heavy. I have used the 50-500 for over four years and took thousands of Aviation and Wildlife images but I finally parted with mine due to the weight. I suggest you try the lens first to ensure it suits you and your camera setup. The DG version has extra coated optics but my opinion having owned both versions was the DG is marketing gimmek to raise the price of an already successful product.

cheers

Kevin
Better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

aviopic

Tue May 29, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Thread starter):
APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM
APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX RF

They are one and the same.
Sigma uses EX to differentiate from the consumer line up, all DG's can be used on APS/c as well as full frame(35mm) camera's(DC's are meant for APS/c only) and the RF feature is present on all 50-500's(and 80-400) which just means that the AF ring is at the rear of the lens instead of up front(so the zoom and AF swapped from place) making it easy to override the AF with your thumb without replacing your grip.
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

bmibaby737

Tue May 29, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting SNATH (Reply 2):
There's a review of it here, if it helps:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-Lens-Reviews.aspx

Tony

Fantastic read, thanks Tony!

Quoting Dvincent (Reply 1):
Make sure you're getting the right version for your mount.

I have a Nikon D50, so it seems alright?

Thanks for all the other replies, you're all stars! Big grin

Bmi

SNATH

Tue May 29, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 5):
Fantastic read, thanks Tony!

Hey, no problem. I saw that you have a Nikon and the article is Canon-oriented. But, I suppose it'd still be helpful.

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 5):
I have a Nikon D50, so it seems alright?

What I think Dvincent was eluding to was to make sure you get the Nikon version of the lens, as it's also available for other brands too (e.g., Canon).

Enjoy the lens if you buy it and let us know what you got on with it!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

dvincent

Tue May 29, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting SNATH (Reply 6):

What I think Dvincent was eluding to was to make sure you get the Nikon version of the lens, as it's also available for other brands too (e.g., Canon).

Yep, and some of those brands can't do HSM, which should be a big tip-off. I don't know if all Nikon Bigmas do HSM, but if you can get an HSM model over one that doesn't have it, I would recommend it. While the Bigma's AF is actually fairly quick due to moving the rear group, the HSM version is quieter and doesn't require the silly clutch mechanism for AF.

For what it's worth, I bought the non-DG version on closeout for $799 and it's been worth every cent. It's not a light lens at all, and this is the downside, as is vignetting at the 500mm end. It's also not great when the sun hides unless you crank up the ISO. The image quality is stellar otherwise, though.
From the Mind of Minolta