venuscat2

DTW And YIP Spotting Areas

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am

Hey there,

I'm heading over to Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti tomorrow to take a placement test, and I'm thinking while I am there I might take some time to do some spotting at Willow Run and Detroit Metro. Could anyone provide me with some good spots? I'm mainly interested in DTW, but I'm imagining the spotting areas are pretty scarce there.

-Jordan

727LOVER

RE: DTW And YIP Spotting Areas

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:51 am

Looks like I'm to late, but for future reference:

I live in Florida and by no means am an expert on DTW. But since I had a 2 day spooting trip last December, I’ll take a crack.

For takeoffs on 3L, the parking garage in front of McNamara Terminal (NW)

For taxi-bys and takeoffs on 21R, there is a long term lot that has good views. This guess this lot would be good for airborne/rotation 3L as well. Warning: this lot is $10 !

Even though this runway is currently closed, for landings on 21L, there is an abandoned gas station (CLARK) at Middlebelt and I think, Goddard Rd. But again, no good until that runway reopens. I f the are using 3s and 4s, I have no idea what areas along Eueka Rd have to offer.

Happy spotting  wave 
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.