NWA742
Topic Author

Finally Decided To Pull The Trigger On An SLR:

Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:21 am

Well my beloved Fuji S5200, a spectacular point and shoot, quality video taking, SLR-wannabe style camera is now selling. I'm ready for my first DSLR.

Now, because I'm currently limited in my SLR photography skills/knowledge, I'm looking for a beginner SLR - around the $500-600 range. My first choice is the Digital Rebel XT - I've done a lot of research and it seems unbeatable for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0007QK...1&pf_rd_p=278841901&pf_rd_i=507846

I'm also considering the Nikon D40 as a start.

Basically I'm looking for an SLR that will give me awesome point and shoot pics when I'd like, but also let me tweak while I research the camera's functions and features, and become more knowledgable about SLR photography. I will be using it for all kinds of photography - close up, scenic, aviation, etc.

I'm sure we have a ton of Nikon and Canon experts in here - what do you guys think? I'm planning on a purchase probably in this month.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

JeffM

RE: Finally Decided To Pull The Trigger On An SLR:

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Not much of a decision in that price range. Your going to need lenses too, so you may need to wait a while longer. Or just buy used. Either one of those are decent beginner cameras, not great, but far better then your Fuji.

eadster

RE: Finally Decided To Pull The Trigger On An SLR:

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Can't beat the D40 price wise. And that is what Nikon intended. Good choice for an entry-level camera.