N612UA
Topic Author

Spotting In SAN

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:35 am

Hello I am in san diego for a few days and wanted to know if there are any good places to spot at? I was in LAX yesterday and found a few good spots to spot at.

Any help with this would be great.

thanks mike

hawaiian717

RE: Spotting In SAN

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:42 am

There is a small free parking lot at the corner of Laurel and Harbor Drive that I like. Stay out of the adjacent Solar Turbines parking lot, their security will come and ask you to leave (or, at least they did a few years ago).

RichPhitzwell

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:07 am

I always liked Balboa, but i wouldn't want to be there alone. Also point loma and liberty station are pretty nice...but ive noticed that many spots have blocked views... Like I said in the PM, I would love to go spot one day or night if you would like some company..
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

san747

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 1):
There is a small free parking lot at the corner of Laurel and Harbor Drive that I like.

That is the best spot, and the only legal one, AFAIK. 90% of A.net shots from SAN are taken from that spot...
Scotty doesn't know...

gocaps16

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:16 am

San Deigo is a really awesome airport. I've flown into SAN like 200 times already since my familia lives in La Jolla and when I was living in Virginia, I had the pleasure of flying to San Diego monthly for a weekend visit. As for spotting, there is only one legal spot, which, as mentioned, the parking lot. There are several off-perimeter spots, such as Balboa Park, but you'll get the normal "boring" shots of the airplane and sky. Another cool spot is the residential area on top of the hill, which is awesome, but it's more "watching" then taking pictures becuase it's fairly far away.