vzlet

More Motiv Questions

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:42 am

Is it the incomplete tail surfaces, the rear view, or a combination that makes this Avanti unacceptable?

"Motiv" was a factor in the below three rejections as well. Are they all due to the incomplete pitot booms? On the X-29 and YF-12, would cropping closer to the nose be acceptable?
X-4

X-29

YF-12A

Thanks for your views. (Screener input is especially welcome!)

-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

nycaviator

RE: More Motiv Questions

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:48 am

My personal opinion would be the background. The screeners are probably looking for the plane itself. The background might take away a little of the focus. Thats just what I think.
Flying is like having eyes on the top of the world.

ilikeflight

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Nycaviator (Reply 1):
My personal opinion would be the background. The screeners are probably looking for the plane itself. The background might take away a little of the focus. Thats just what I think.

Totally agree there the first shot would be your best bet
Think Different

ptrjong

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Vzlet (Thread starter):
Motiv" was a factor in the below three rejections as well. Are they all due to the incomplete pitot booms?

I don't think so. Cutting a long, thin pitot tube is often acceptable for a.net.

On the X-4 ( I had to look that up) the problem is the cutting of the wing and the near cutting of the tailfin I believe. You could have cut more of the tube to avoid these problems. Maybe you have another frame, it's an interesting aircraft and the background is OK I think.

The X-29's boom is rather thick, I think you cut it in the right place. However, the plane is low in the frame which distracts from the subject. Still, I like this picture the best of the four. Again, I don't think the background is too cluttered. Not sure if you can cut the boom more, try how it looks.

The SR-71 is really too low, the upper orange drone at least should not be in the frame. It's also very cluttered (frustrating). I think it's a lost case.

The pitot tube problem is notorious with Sukhoi Fitters and MiGs. Here are some with cut tubes that were accepted:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong
View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Jong

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Jong
View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Jong

This one was rejected, I'm not sure I understand.
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...ions/big/20070701_Su-20-613ptr.jpg

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Fly747

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Nycaviator (Reply 1):

That is all wrong, background hardly ever warrants a motive rejection.
I would say it's the cut off booms.

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 3):
The pitot tube problem is notorious with Sukhoi Fitters and MiGs. Here are some with cut tubes that were accepted:

Probably just a case of screener preference. Remember, motive is the most subjective rejection.

Ivan

Halcyon

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting Vzlet (Thread starter):

That first one is just beautiful.

vzlet

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Thanks for each of the above replies. They do show, however, a definite contrast of opinions! Views from screeners too would be appreciated.

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 3):
The pitot tube problem is notorious with Sukhoi Fitters and MiGs.

I have about 25 shots in the DB with cropped booms/pitot tubes, mainly on MiGs, Sukhois, and Mi-24s, but I know that screening standards tend to evolve over time and I wondered if it wasn't just a coincidence that they were present in these three museum rejections.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Flight Test/R&D annex is very densely packed. It's frustrating to be amongst so many rare and interesting subjects and not have many clear angles. (I don't have anything wider than a 17-40 on a 1.6x crop body.) That's why I resorted to the hold-the-tripod-above-the-head technique for the two X planes.

I realized that I may not have made it clear that the Avanti shot was also a rejection.

-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

vzlet

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:38 pm

I appealed the Avanti shot and it was accepted:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle