Psych
Topic Author

Johan Sells A.net

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:21 am

For those photographers who don't frequent the Site Forum, Johan has recently put up this thread, where he announces that he has sold the site to an American Company.

I thought it worth posting here, to facilitate communication and so draw photographers' attention to this important development, as I am sure many of us will have a lot of comments and questions.

Cheers.

Paul

walter2222

RE: Johan Sells A.net

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting Psych (Thread starter):
For those photographers who don't frequent the Site Forum, Johan has recently put up this thread, where he announces that he has sold the site to an American Company.

I thought it worth posting here, to facilitate communication and so draw photographers' attention to this important development, as I am sure many of us will have a lot of comments and questions.

Thanks for posting this, Paul!

PS: Hope you are doing OK in the UK (weatherwise)?

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

dc10tim

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:23 am

So will the site actually be relocating to the US from Sweden?

And if so, what impact will this have on the site's desire not to pay too much attention to the complaints of airlines such as Alaska?

Potentially a good move in terms of technical improvement, just so long as the integrity of the site remain I think.

Regards,

Tim.

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 1):
PS: Hope you are doing OK in the UK (weatherwise)?

Normal summer where Paul comes from  Wink
Obviously missing something....

JeffM

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:33 am

Hopefully now that a company with $$ in it's pockets will see fit to actually pay the people that make it what it is. And pay in real money for the sales of our images, which without them would be?? Not much at all.

graphic

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):
Hopefully now that a company with $$ in it's pockets will see fit to actually pay the people that make it what it is. And pay in real money for the sales of our images, which without them would be?? Not much at all.

checkmark  Well said Jeff.
Demand Media fails at life

skidmarks

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):

Well, I wondered how long it would be before the commercial stuff came out. And frankly, since this site was primarily a showcase for amateur's, I think it is a shame that some people here feel that payment for the images they voluntarily uploaded was neccessary. It's nice to make a sale, but for most here I think that is a sideline bonus and simply getting their pictures on the site and viewed is enough.

I hope the site maintains it's amateur status and standards and does not succumb to the mighty dollar and greed.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

CalgaryBill

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):
Hopefully now that a company with $$ in it's pockets will see fit to actually pay the people that make it what it is.

Maybe that will happen. But in my experience, "mergers" or buyouts are usually driven by money. While new owners talk about "improvements" that usually means "rightsizing" or cost cutting. Sorry to be negative, but I've worked for several companies that were bought out, and in every case the buyout was driven by the buyer wanting some asset of the company being sold. Even if the asset was the company's good name in its industry, then that was the only reason for the purchase.

I'd like to wish Johan all the best and thank him for all the hard work he did building this site. It's his to own and sell and I hope he got fair return for his effort.

B

NIKV69

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 5):
for the images they voluntarily uploaded

Jeff seems to forget that important fact. I would be willing to bet he has sold many a pic thanks to the exposure they get here. Which are hosted free btw.

Also don't forget you have the ability to not have your photos for sale via the site.

[Edited 2007-07-27 23:21:39]

[Edited 2007-07-27 23:46:36]
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

JeffM

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:34 am

I think it is a shame that some people here feel that payment for the images they voluntarily uploaded was neccessary.

and...

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
Jeff seems to forget that important fact. I would be willing to bet he has sold many a pic thanks to the exosure they get here. Which are hosted free btw.

Don't be jack-a$ses you two.... I'm referring to the screeners, and crew.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
Also don't forget you have the ability to not have your photos for sale via the site.

I don't.

It's nice to make a sale, but for most here I think that is a sideline bonus and simply getting their pictures on the site and viewed is enough.

Such a nice touchy feely remark, I'll bet you felt good writing it?

I bet it feels even better raking in cash from people donating a saleable commodity, one that the commercial world pays dearly for. There would be nothing at all wrong with raising the amount the photographer gets from a picture sale. It's good business. Think about it.....

ChrisH

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:56 am

This is good news for Johan and congratulations to him!

I just pray a.net doesnt get the americana treatment, i.e one million popups and advertisers, ruining of the clean a.net design etc... just look at jp.net.. horrid.

However if they can come up with a way to get the people uploading to perhaps make a little money off their pics, that would be great.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

JeffM

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 9):
I just pray a.net doesnt get the americana treatment,

Yeah sure

Yeah, success is a terrible thing.  Wink

eksath
Crew

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:56 am

Whoa..this is scary stuff...

Congrats to Johan for cashing out. Good job in getting the site to where it is. I really mean that!

However, i have my concerns about the future.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):

In a good case scenerio yes. However, corperate demands are far different than an individual run enterprise.

Anbody who believes everything new acquiistion owners say before and during a purchase, please contact me 'cos i have a big bridge to sell in Brooklyn.

Am sorry but i am skeptical about the outcome.

Sorry Johan.

I guess the competition is still not corperate.
World Wide Aerospace Photography

ilikeflight

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:12 am

Good job Johan on the website but I checked out the buyers other websites they own and they all look the same not good I hope they dont turn our beloved website into a dump
Think Different

QANTAS077

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):

I wonder how the new owners intend on making a return on their investment?  Wink

NIKV69

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 13):
I wonder how the new owners intend on making a return on their investment?

Monty your question was answered the first time you asked it in site related. Advertising and membership.

I can see by your post over there that you feel this site owes you because of you and everyone's uploads but don't forget it's the site that hosts your pics for nothing and generates the traffic that views them. It's a two way street.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 8):
I bet it feels even better raking in cash from people donating a saleable commodity, one that the commercial world pays dearly for.

Jesus Jeff, nobody is forcing you to upload here.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 8):
There would be nothing at all wrong with raising the amount the photographer gets from a picture sale. It's good business. Think about it.....

Makes total sense, but it's not our call. What is our call is taking the photo sale option down all together and negotiating the price yourself when someone shows interest. Think about it.

prat

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:03 pm

Sad that it was purchased by a company that simply buys websites for the traffic rather than someone more aviation-related. I hope it doesn't turn to hell like I've seen so many sites in the past. Best of luck to the new owners and I really do hope they put as much effort and dedication into it that Johan did.

jwenting

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):
Hopefully now that a company with $$ in it's pockets will see fit to actually pay the people that make it what it is.

how do you think they got that money? Not by paying people to help out on sites, but by making people pay to help out...

So I'd sooner expect free services to be restricted rather than expanded. Think being shown a 320x200 version of a photo only unless you're a paying member, forums being readonly unless you're a paying member, and things like that.
Moderators may get the same benefits as paying members as a reward for their help.
I wish I were flying

clickhappy

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 16):
Moderators may get the same benefits as paying members as a reward for their help.

That is what we get now, plus the satisfaction of giving back to a hobby we all love.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 16):
Not by paying people to help out on sites, but by making people pay to help out...

You mean they will make us pay to screen? Hahahaha.

gkirk

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 8):

Don't be jack-a$ses you two.... I'm referring to the screeners, and crew.

Who are all volunteers as well
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Psych
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:43 pm

There are just so many interesting issues that this raises - many of them somewhat worrying.

What about this one? Clearly Demand Media will be keen to maximise traffic on the site; presumably that is there whole raison d'etre. There are regular threads here where mention has been made of the times when Johan had cleaned up his queue, because very often many of those shots, by their very nature more 'varied' than the normal kind of image we see here (often breaking the rules, or at least pushing their boundaries significantly), appear on the front page of that Top of the Day. So one might be forgiven for concluding that it is often the contentious shots that 'pull in those extra viewers'. Now if I was Demand Media and I believed this I might want to 'interfere' in the kind of images that were accepted and those that were rejected - it might be a real tester if they kept seeing threads including photos they (and others) believed would be big hitters if accepted, but which were rejected.

I think we have all seen evidence recently that the screening team are not always rigid and do recognise a good photo when they see one. But it's a thought.

I may be being overly skeptical - but if I was the man in charge and I saw things that seemed to me to go against my 'business plan', I can't imagine being able to sit back and not 'stick my oar in'.

Paul

Edited for typo

[Edited 2007-07-28 09:09:31]

jwenting

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 17):
You mean they will make us pay to screen? Hahahaha.

That's what happens at sites like ExpertsExchange. Only paying members have access to functions that can be used to answer questions etc.

So yes, I can imagine it happening because I've seen it happen.
I wish I were flying

timdegroot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Johan and Demand media have assured us that uploading will remain a free service. The screening process will also remain the same.

Tim
Alderman Exit

Danny

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 21):
Johan and Demand media have assured us that uploading will remain a free service.

That's a good laugh. Uploading your photos that keep this site running will remain free (for now). How generous.

JeffM

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
Jesus Jeff, nobody is forcing you to upload here.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
What is our call is taking the photo sale option down all together and negotiating the price yourself when someone shows interest. Think about it.

I didn't believe it, but I guess what the others said is true.....you really don't get it, do you? I don't use the photo sale option.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 18):
Who are all volunteers as well

Same goes for you.

Does anyone thinks this site was purchased with anything other then making money in mind? I'd love to hear an answer to that. There will be changes, no doubt about it.

andyhunt
Crew

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 23):
There will be changes, no doubt about it.

Yes, I agree, but from what I have heard, changes for the better. And that will be good for all of us.

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

TransIsland

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 23):
There will be changes, no doubt about it.

I'd oracle that the first thing to go is "Premium" membership.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

diezel

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Well, Good for Johan!

I think it's a wise decision as there are a lot of outages and the site can use some updates. If you can't manage it anymore the way it should be managed, it's just a matter of time before things go downhill. So, well done.

For me, I just keep uploading here. I've been a paying member for almost five years and the site suites me fine (besides of course all the unjust rejections Big grin )

If things change for the worse, I will see then. Now I'm looking forward to the new improvements.

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

NIKV69

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 22):
I didn't believe it, but I guess what the others said is true.....you really don't get it, do you? I don't use the photo sale option.

Then what is this statement?

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):

Your trying to say no pics no site? Well if you didn'tt have the site nobody would be looking at your pictures. Remember that. I would think a lot of time and money from somewhere else went into creating and maintaining the site while the DB was built up. Again being hosted for no charge. Granted the photo sales option here may not be what you think it should be but it's not a democracy. You (or the people that use the photo sale option) upload here voluntarily. No gun to your head. You have many options. No photo sale, photo sale or both. This site knows that the photogs are important to it as the site is to the photogs. Monty is inferring in his other posts that the new investors may want to profit from the photo sales in addition to advertising revenue and memberships but it is what it is, upload or don't upload. Sell them via the site or don't. It's that simple.

clickhappy

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 20):
That's what happens at sites like ExpertsExchange. Only paying members have access to functions that can be used to answer questions etc.

I just had a look, and it looks like you are wrong. But maybe I am looking in the wrong area, so please provide a source to support your argument.

At any rate, it is a good thing I have a kick ass job that pays fat cash. I plan on screening for a long time, so I better break out my checkbook  Wink

PUnmuth@VIE

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
Quoting Danny (Reply 22):
I didn't believe it, but I guess what the others said is true.....you really don't get it, do you? I don't use the photo sale option

You should learn how to quote correctly before trying to post.  Wink Danny never wrote this.
-

NIKV69

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 29):
You should learn how to quote correctly before trying to post. Danny never wrote this.

I know I bullocks that up something fierce, apoligies to Danny we know who the quote was from.

eksath
Crew

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 21):
Johan and Demand media have assured us that uploading will remain a free service. The screening process will also remain the same.

Tim

...and the forum with premium membership?
World Wide Aerospace Photography

timdegroot

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:58 am

As far as I undertand it only ADDITIONAL services will be added for which you have to pay, all accounts will stay intact and with the same priviliges you have now.

Tim
Alderman Exit

JeffM

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:47 am

Then what is this statement?

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):

You must me a rock.

Pay the screeners and crew.

If the site wants to resell the images here, make it worthwhile for both. I don't use the photo sale option, can you guess why?

jid

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:41 am

Your trying to say no pics no site? Well if you didn'tt have the site nobody would be looking at your pictures. Remember that

So this is the only site to show you pictures?? Nik, wake up!! There are plenty of other sites and what Jeff says is correct, no pics no site just think about that - I'm quite sure the new owners are aware of that.
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

dc10tim

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting Jid (Reply 34):
So this is the only site to show you pictures?? Nik, wake up!! There are plenty of other sites

I wonder if the new owners will start charging for blatant advertisements?  Wink

graphic

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting DC10Tim (Reply 35):

I wonder if the new owners will start charging for blatant advertisements?

Who do you propose they'd charge? There's alot more than just one competitor site.
Demand Media fails at life

JohnJ

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:19 pm

Are the million-plus photos hosted by Airliners.net considered to be assets of Airliners.net? I have no problem uploading my shots on the site in its current state as I know my work is fiercely protected. I don't know the terms of this sale, and I haven't done much digging into how much of my rights to my work I give up by uploading here, but is there anything that would prevent Demand Media from reselling my work without my permission, or even claiming they own the copyrights to my photos since they're hosted on their equipment? The old saying "possession is 9/10 of the law" keeps ringing through my head over this.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 33):
Pay the screeners and crew.

That may well happen andif it does it is none of your business or anyone else. Contrary to popular belief it's not our pictures that pay for that.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 33):
If the site wants to resell the images here, make it worthwhile for both. I don't use the photo sale option, can you guess why?

Yes, as is your option. I don't use it either.

Quoting Jid (Reply 34):
So this is the only site to show you pictures?? Nik, wake up!! There are plenty of other sites and what Jeff says is correct, no pics no site just think about that - I'm quite sure the new owners are aware of that.

You know the funny part, everyone knows there are plenty of other sites yet everyone continues to upload here. You keep saying "no pics no site" yet the site and the DB continue to grow and lead the net. The new owners are aware of one thing, that this site is the leader in av-photo and generates the most online traffic. That is why they bought it. Until the people here that are standing on this weak concept pull their photos and upload to these "other sites" I don't want to hear it anymore. For they are all hypocrites.

PUnmuth@VIE

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 38):
I don't want to hear it anymore.

Thats fine just don't read it. Always remember the others could be right and you could be wrong.
-

paulinbna

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm

yet the site and the DB continue to grow and lead the net.

Before you go ahead and make this kind of claim make sure you check your facts.

Since 24th July 2007 the other site has : 7323 uploads
Airliners in the same period has: 5646 uploads

Don't get me wrong I upload to this site first, but NIK I would at least check your facts. It does not look like a weak concept to me.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

bapilot2b

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 37):
Are the million-plus photos hosted by Airliners.net considered to be assets of Airliners.net? I have no problem uploading my shots on the site in its current state as I know my work is fiercely protected. I don't know the terms of this sale, and I haven't done much digging into how much of my rights to my work I give up by uploading here, but is there anything that would prevent Demand Media from reselling my work without my permission, or even claiming they own the copyrights to my photos since they're hosted on their equipment? The old saying "possession is 9/10 of the law" keeps ringing through my head over this.

Exactly my worry.

That may well happen andif it does it is none of your business or anyone else. Contrary to popular belief it's not our pictures that pay for that.

Talk about utter BS, so you are telling me if ALL images were removed from A.Net by ALL photographers.....people would still come and visit, click adverts and make A.Net money???? The Aviation Images are the reason people visit A.Net, remove them and you have nothing.
Jason Nicholls - v1images

dc10tim

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Graphic (Reply 36):
Who do you propose they'd charge? There's alot more than just one competitor site.

Nevermind, I expect it went over most people's head.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting PUnmuth@VIE (Reply 39):
Always remember the others could be right and you could be wrong.

Never said they were wrong, just want to see them back up their words with action. Instead of just continuing to upload here.

Quoting BAPILOT2B (Reply 41):
Talk about utter BS, so you are telling me if ALL images were removed from A.Net by ALL photographers.....people would still come and visit, click adverts and make A.Net money???? The Aviation Images are the reason people visit A.Net, remove them and you have nothing.

Ok, here is the deal, as soon as these hypocrites start to back up their words and pull their photos, and cease uploading here the that will happen. Unfortunately the chances of this happening are about as good as you having sex with Paris Hilton and hitting the lottery in the same day so though your concept makes sense in theory in practice it's never going to happen.

ANITIX87

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 43):
having sex with Paris Hilton and hitting the lottery in the same day

Well her cell-mates are halfway there.

I agree with you Nicholas. This site has always had the two-faced people on it. One of the reasons I post a lot less than I used to. But you know what? I still shoot aviation for my own personal interest. And if I get a shot that is good enough to contribute here, then I upload. And that is what keeps this site going. We get views, traffic, we draw more interest to aviation, and provide a place for people to excercise their hobby. The photos here are vital, and are all uploaded voluntarily. Some people upload here just for posterity ("Oh, yeah, well I have a BILLION views!"), which others, upload to share their photos with the rest of the aviation community. And that, ultimately, is what this site is about.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

codeshare

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:33 am

Time will tell if it was a good or a bad move.

Recently dpreview.com was bought by amazon.com and looks like nothing bad happened. So far...

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

PhilGil

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 am

is there anything that would prevent Demand Media from reselling my work without my permission, or even claiming they own the copyrights to my photos since they're hosted on their equipment

John, this is my biggest concern, as well. I don't think Demand Media can just cliam that our photos belong to them - that would certainly be a violation of U.S. copyright law - but they could make more subtle changes to their usage rights. For example, they may permit direct-linking of our medium or large images (instead of just a thumbnail) from another website. This may be unacceptable to photographers who currently charge a license fee to other sites for using their images. We'll need to pay close attention over the next few months.

I'm sure there will be other changes, as well, some that we won't like. Bear in mind, though, that this site was purchased because it was successful - any changes should come gradually and be done with great care.

D L X

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:39 am

Are the million-plus photos hosted by Airliners.net considered to be assets of Airliners.net?

No.

but is there anything that would prevent Demand Media from reselling my work without my permission, or even claiming they own the copyrights to my photos since they're hosted on their equipment?

Yes: copyright law. You're the author, you own the copyright unless you sell or assign those rights to someone else. It's the same thing as for music: just because you go out and buy a CD and put it on your ipod (meaning your equipment is now hosting the music) does not mean you can go put it on everyone else's ipod too. Airliners.net has permission to display your photos, but it does not have permission to sell them or reproduce them outside of Airliners.net.

If you are concerned, **** PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE DISCLAIMER PAGE BEFORE UPLOADING YOUR PICTURES AFTER THE TRANSFER TO DEMAND MEDIA IS COMPLETED **** and check it often. If it says something like "by uploading this photo, you assign the copyright to ..." STOP RIGHT THERE -- DO NOT CLICK YES. That is, unless you are willing to part with the ownership of your photo for nothing more than the joy of seeing your hit count go up. (Which for some, is joy enough to continue uploading. For others, not so much.)

The old saying "possession is 9/10 of the law" keeps ringing through my head over this.

Fortunately, that old saying isn't the law.  Wink

ANCFlyer

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:06 am

Continue this conversation in the Site Related Thread.

The sell of this site not only concerns the photographers here, but all 60,000 members.

Two simultaneous threads is unwarranted.
Big News On The Future Of Airliners.net (by Administrator Jul 27 2007 in Site Related)
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND