whappeh

Does This Make A Good Tail Shot?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:35 am

I am wondering what makes a good tail shot, and this one I think stands a chance. Opinions?

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Brendan Gallagher

-Travel now, journey infinitely.

ANITIX87

RE: Does This Make A Good Tail Shot?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:50 am

Hey, Brendan.

Tail shots are always risky to upload because of motive. This one might stand a chance with some changes, but not as it is now. You need to have the entire tail in the picture, as you've cut off the front of it in this crop. Quality-wise it should be ok. Give it another go with the whole tail in it.

Here's an album by user "YYZflyer that's full of tail shots. This should give you a better idea.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ptrjong

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:52 am

The cutting of the leading edge kills it for me, and probably for the screeners.
The photo is also empty on the right side. These problems arise from the angle.
Good tailshots are often 90 deg side-ons, showing the livery best and avoiding the tailplane problem.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

whappeh

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 2):
The cutting of the leading edge kills it for me, and probably for the screeners.

I just noticed that my self. I think you may be right, but I'll try to crop it up and see if I can make it better; but I didn't notice that at first, and sadly, I think you're right.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.