DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Thread Starters Cutting Photo Links In Threads

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Hey guys,

Occasionally I cruise the aviation photography forum and give advice when I feel it's warranted. It's great to see new photographers putting their first photos up and asking for help. And it's great to see long-time photographers also putting up their photos for advice.

There's one thing that really gets me, though -

Why do people link to their photo via the upload queue, and then pull the photo from the queue, thus cutting the link to the photo so nobody else can see and comment on it?

I'd like to see photographers use some other hosting source, such as the Airliners.net profile image hosting, to link to their photos in threads. Or even sites like Flickr, or even Photobucket.

Here's an example of a thread that cut the link:

My First Uploads To Airliners.net (by Sajmon Aug 5 2007 in Aviation Photography)

...And now I can't go back and see the photos the thread starter was talking about.

My point is this - photographers need to link to some other source, so that we can view the photo even after they've pulled it from the queue. This probably won't amount to anything, but how many of you would be in support of a rule to prohibit the linking of photos in the queue via the provided link?

Thanks.

[Edited 2007-08-06 17:14:30]
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Fly747

RE: Thread Starters Cutting Photo Links In Threads

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Thread starter):
Why do people link to their photo via the upload queue, and then pull the photo from the queue, thus cutting the link to the photo so nobody else can see and comment on it?

Because he already got his answer, case closed. Those photos were in the upload queue. Some people only have 2 slots as you might be aware so the slots were needed for the new ones. Very simple.

Ivan

TransIsland

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:20 am

Instead of posting photos all over the Internet (and then eventually forgetting to delete them from whatever hosting service, thus making them available in an even less controllable context than a.net), maybe thread starters should just kindly ask the mods to delete such threads if the photos in question are no longer available?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

DeltaAVL
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 1):

Because he already got his answer, case closed. Those photos were in the upload queue. Some people only have 2 slots as you might be aware so the slots were needed for the new ones. Very simple.

Right, I know why they pull the photos.

Even after the question has been answered, people might want to go back into those threads and look at the photos and responses for their own benefit.

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 2):
Instead of posting photos all over the Internet (and then eventually forgetting to delete them from whatever hosting service, thus making them available in an even less controllable context than a.net), maybe thread starters should just kindly ask the mods to delete such threads if the photos in question are no longer available?

But then you're throwing away all kinds of advice that could be utilized in more than just one way...
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster