michlis

Photographing The B-2

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 am

I am going to have the opportunity to photograph a B-2 flyby next Saturday. Are there any suggestions/tips for photographing the B-2 (shutter speed, exposure, etc.) I've photographed an F-117 several years ago but this is a first for the B-2 and this is the first time using a digital SLR to photograph a stealth aircraft.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

jwenting

RE: Photographing The B-2

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:30 am

it's no different from any other aircraft...

Determine exposure before you shoot, and don't let the camer sensors be fooled by the much brighter sky surrounding that big black aircraft or you end up with just a silhouette just as you would with an F-117, B-52, or B-1 (or any other dark painted aircraft).

Digital or film don't matter one iota in that equation, except that it's cheaper to bracket your shots.
I wish I were flying

ThierryD
Crew

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):
it's no different from any other aircraft...

checkmark 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

ISO160, 1/320s, f/9

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

ISO200, 1/1250, f/6.3

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

michlis

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:19 am

Thanks! I appreciate the input.  bigthumbsup 
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

oobitsa

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:45 am

Thierry, great pics. Question from a noob here: how did you determine the appropriate exposure for these shots? I've got a folder full of black smudges that are supposed to be F-117s and B-2's against a bright sky. Spot metering? Educated guessing?

Many thanks!

ThierryD
Crew

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Oobitsa (Reply 4):
Thierry, great pics. Question from a noob here: how did you determine the appropriate exposure for these shots?

Thanks Oobitsa!
Using shutter priority works quite well; with fast moving jets, setting a shutter speed of 1/500 - 1/2000 works quite well and the camera does the rest. Works for any kind of plane. The F-117 was shot in auto mode as I found the camera was doing a good job finding its own settings; but basically there's no difference in shooting black birdies vs light birdies.
For instance I took this F-15 with exactly the same settings as the F-117:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

Cheers,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Kukkudrill

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:10 am

Keep in mind that if the sky is overcast it becomes a whole different ballgame. Contrary to the way people perceive it, an overcast sky is a lot brighter than a blue sky and this will lead the camera to underexpose. You'd probably need to set +ve exposure compensation even with spot metering.

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

michlis

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 6):
Keep in mind that if the sky is overcast it becomes a whole different ballgame. Contrary to the way people perceive it, an overcast sky is a lot brighter than a blue sky and this will lead the camera to underexpose. You'd probably need to set +ve exposure compensation even with spot metering.

Good point. I have a Canon EOS 20D and it has three different metering modes. I am thinking that I'll use either partial or center-weighted average with shutter-priority mode.

Again, thanks for the tips...hopefully I'll have some shots that will merit Airliners.

michlis

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:39 am

Nice F-15 picture Thierry! I was looking for a good picture of the F-15 from this angle to help me with a paint job I'm putting on a 1/32 scale F-15D I'm building...with the photographer's permission of course.  Smile~

fotodj

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:11 pm

I have few pictures of B-2 on my website www.fotodj.com , newest reports have exif info under the photo, metering usually
center-weighted average...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dariusz Jezewski "FotoDJ Photography"

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 427 File size: 51kb
Edwards AFB Air Show...
Polishman in New York

oobitsa

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:03 pm

FotoDJ and Thierry, great pix! The exposure of B-2 is amazing. I'm headed to the airshow at Oceana NAS next month and will be sure to have my camera set to center weighted metering, shutter priority, and, perhaps, a little overexposure and bracketing for good measure!

Thanks to all for the great advice!

michlis

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:04 am

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to getting some photos of this dark gray beauty.