SNATH
Topic Author

Noise Reduction: Both Pre- And Post-scaling?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:54 am

Hi all,

While, trying to edit a (quite tricky in many ways!) shot, I followed my usual workflow: noise reduction, scaling, colors, sharpening. However, I have to sharpen quite a lot, which increases the grain on the picture quite substantially. I tried, as a test, to apply extra noise reduction after sharpening (NoiseNinja allows me to also apply some sharpening as part of the noise reduction process to somehow compensate for the softening effect) and the results look pretty good (not ready to submit it yet though... it was a quick proof-of-concept edit).

Now, there are good reasons why it is advised to apply noise reduction as the first step of the workflow and definitely pre-scaling. I'm wondering whether anyone here regularly does post-scaling noise reduction, or has done it successfully on tricky shots. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

[Edited 2007-08-13 20:11:23]
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

Fly747

RE: Noise Reduction: Both Pre- And Post-scaling?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:28 am

I haven't used NR for a while, but always used to do it first as you mention. I think it's advised to do it in the beginning because of the softening. That's what I believe, but might be wrong.
Show us the shot Tony.

Ivan

SNATH
Topic Author

RE: Noise Reduction: Both Pre- And Post-scaling?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 1):
Show us the shot Tony.

Smile I need to work on it a bit more!!!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.