McG1967
Topic Author

How Best To Level This Shot?

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 pm

How would you level this shot. The harbour wall behind runs diagonally like that, and has a slope built into it.
I did not apply any rotation to the image.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/MDJE21024.jpg

Regards

Mark

acontador

RE: How Best To Level This Shot?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 am

Hi Mark,

The only reference I can find are the very small verticals at the wall, thus I would rotate CCW until they LOOK vertical.
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

dispatcher

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:36 am

The water stains on the wall should be more or less straight up and down, maybe you could go with that? Great color in that by the way.

ptrjong

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:33 am

Reflections in the water should form a vertical line with the real thing! At least, I've used this idea succesfully a few times.

The waves blur the picture, of course, but if you look carefully there are a few reflections I think you can use, including those of the leftmost point of the prop circle and the navigation light on top of the tailfin.

Based on this a slight CCW rotation is indeed needed.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

NIKV69

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:47 am

I would be careful with the amount of CCW. The pic as is looks pretty close to level as it is now. Looking at the reflections it's not much at all.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Lanas

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 am

Mark

Since the wall was built sloped, there is no valid reference in it. I´d use Peter´s advice but with great care. In general I believe the pic is almost level. Maybe some 0,1 or 0,2º CCW will do. Or maybe not. Try it out and if you want post the results here.
I´m a bit more worried, however, about the softness of the image in some parts, specially the blurriness on the right wing. Also be careful with the blown-out whites on the wing edges, for example.

Hope it helps.  Smile

Cheers
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien