ake0404ar

Take Pride In What You Do.. Damn It. Charge For It

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 pm

It has been mentioned quite a few times, but I thought I bring it up again.......

Dear Mr. Garcia,

As we already got many positive anwers from other people shooting
airplanes and ready to let use their nice photographs from airliners.net
for free - but with their appropriate reference of course - we don't
need to do any business with you. Anyway, thank you for your interest
and your time.

Regards,
Jorg Guesnet

.......... you don't get your groceries for free at your local grocery store, just because you spread the word and tell your friends how great it is to go shopping there.

Take pride in what you do....charge for a usage!

boeingfreak

RE: Take Pride In What You Do.. Damn It. Charge For It

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting AKE0404AR (Thread starter):
we already got many positive anwers from other people shooting
airplanes

Well, not from me as I don't give my pictures away for free (private use is another case of course). It is always the same: My camera, my lenses and the gas I burned driving to the airport weren't for free either, in what world do these people live?? I experienced it myself several times, people asking for free images... And when I told them that they have to pay I never heard back anything from them.

But everybody has to make his own decision, if somebody wants to give his pictures away for free, fine.

Florian

Ander

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:48 am

As we already got many positive anwers from other people shooting
airplanes and ready to let use their nice photographs

Dunno, but I've heard (read) this so many times. Guess it makes no difference what country you live in or who you deal with, but it is always the same.

checkmark 

Ander
Born to tri.

acontador

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:07 am

Same here  Sad !
Either they just use them without your consent, or they find plenty of people willing to give them for free.
What I found most amazing was the fact that I was contact by one the mayor jet engine producers for the use of one particular picture, but when I asked for a compensation they replied that a usually they would get them for free but if I insisted I would get a pen and a sticker!!!! Needless to say that eventually they went for the free ones...
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

LHRSIMON

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:19 am

100% agree.. This is the main reason why i have moved more and more away from aviation photography and into sport photography. I cannot think of any other subject matter where hundreds of photographers are willing to pay thousands for pro gear to then only give the photo's away for free....
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

CalgaryBill

RE: Take Pride In What You Do.. Damn It. Charge Fo

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:22 am

Unfortunately some people think that a photo credit is payment. This is exactly the reason I'm getting out of wedding photography - there are too many hobbyists out there that will give away a wedding shoot for a couple hundred bucks just to buy a new lens. They don't seem to get that every time they give it away, they take meals off a pro's kitchen table.

B

Granite

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:35 am

Hi all

Discussed many, many a time but unless there is a law that says you cannot give images away for free there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Regards

Gary

NIKV69

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:37 am

Welcome to my respected user list!!

Glad someone here can say it. I have gotten 2 requests in the last month from Asiana and China Airlines and once they hear they have to shell out some of that money they make they never email back. I mean who are they to use someone's work for nothing? Do they carry cargo and not charge their customers? They are enabled by the fact that many here give it a way, and please don't give ,me this "do it for the hobby" stuff.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

D L X

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:55 am

You can't MAKE someone charge for their photos. Plain and simple.

Besides, what is the value of a photo? If it's rare, it probably has a lot of value. If it is artistic and unique, it has a lot of value. But don't expect to get payment for a side-on shot - there are just too many alternative photos out there that even via free market, with everyone charging, you would still only get pennies. Or am I wrong?

prat

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):

Damn rights. I agree with you 100%. If someone else wants to give their photos away for free that's fine, that's their right. But I won't. Everyone's always looking for something for nothing, and that will never change, but atleast make it more of a hassle for them!  Smile That said, I've still managed to make some decent photo sales and I've gained some very respectable contacts at companies which were more than happy to pay a nominal fee for a high quality photo. Some of which have even come back looking for more!

ptrjong

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
Or am I wrong?

You're absolutely right, Damon. These threads are  old 

Face it, digital photography and the Internet have inflated the value of most photographs. If you're not an especially gifted or lucky photographer, yes, you're competing against 15-year-olds who take great pride in seeing their photo used for free, and who are you to tell them they shouldn't do that?

Personally, I certainly do charge for any remotely serious commercial usage of my photos. But - I don't know about yours - most requests I get are from amateur writers etc. who are devoting their free time to marginal, if not downright unprofitable projects. I have been on the other side of that and if I like them I'll sometimes let them use a photo for free, and again, nobody can tell me not to do that.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

ake0404ar

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:46 am

Ok, to make it a bit clearer.....the company / project I am talking about is funded by the EU (European Union)
Last time I checked they do have some money left on their bank account.

"newsletters are sent for free to aviation stakeholders"

The photo in question is not rare but an unusual photo which I have sold quite a few times in the past to various clients...and it did pay my trip to Dubai and a couple of other things besides that.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia

I remember the first time someone contacted me about using my photo (must have been around 1999). I was so psyched and if I remember well, I gave it out for a couple of bucks.......I had no idea, but you live and learn!

ThierryD
Crew

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:46 am

Ever heard about Don Quichotte?
With all due respect Vasco, but the battle you're trying to fight here can't be won.
There are already millions of aviation photos on the net and thousands are being added daily, so if someone wants a photo for free he/she will get it.
If you want to sell photos, then make them special and irreplaceable so that possible customers will want YOUR photo and not just ANY photo.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

maiznblu_757

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
there are just too many alternative photos out there that even via free market, with everyone charging, you would still only get pennies. Or am I wrong?

Pennies? You are wrong.

Signed,

Matt Wallman

ake0404ar

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:49 am

Thierry,

I don't want to fight a battle......it is almost lost anyway. All I wanted to do is make some people aware that they can actually make money with the hobby....!!!!!

Vasco

D L X

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting AKE0404AR (Reply 11):
The photo in question is not rare but an unusual photo which I have sold quite a few times in the past to various clients...and it did pay my trip to Dubai and a couple of other things besides that.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vasco Garcia

I remember the first time someone contacted me about using my photo (must have been around 1999).

Well, Vasco, I think that photo IS very special, and I'm curious as to what photo those guys were able to get for free so as to not bother working with you. I don't mean to say that someone shouldn't charge for their photos, just that you can't make someone charge for them. That photo of yours is valuable. But many people see the price of a Cadillac and then make the choice to get a used Dodge instead.

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 12):
If you want to sell photos, then make them special and irreplaceable so that possible customers will want YOUR photo and not just ANY photo.

I agree. The photos that I've sold all had something unusual about them, or something that ties the photo to the buyer.

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 13):

Matt Wallman

Just curious, how does Mr. Wallman make money off of side-on shots?

maiznblu_757

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 15):
Just curious, how does Mr. Wallman make money off of side-on shots?

Easy,

he charges for his photos.

Signed,

Chad Thomas

beechcraft

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:26 am

we don't
need to do any business with you.

WE don´t need to do business with THEM!

Maybe someone should create a blacklist of those requests....

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

relic

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:39 am

Hi guys
Now i think i am going to annoy alot of people here,but only last week i was approached on behalf of a very large airline regarding a book publication asking to use one of my photos.The proceeds of this book will be going to charity.Im not sure how much,but im not worried about that,its for charity.I was asked if i would be willing to give my photo for free,which i agreed providing i was acknowledged as the author of this photo in the publication.This was agreed.
Any other time i would have charged,but to me this is a maybe a one off chance to have something i have shot in a worldwide publication.I am still quite new to serious aircraft photography,and my 50 odd pics wont set the world alight judging by some of the superb pics that i see on Anet everyday.
Cheers
Andy

skidmarks

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:49 am

Each to their own. I've had flights and other stuff from airlines which I consider to be far more useful than actual cash for pictures. I'm not a professional, nor am I 13 with a cheap Digital camera, but my gear was bought because it's my hobby and not with a view that I must make money from the hobby in order to finance it.

I'd rather someone gave me credit in a picture and didn't pay than demand recompense and never see my pictures used. I've had plenty of business from doing this and I am comfortable with it. I have to say that people who think they should charge for every picture request are maybe in the wrong environment. This site, and others like it, are primarily hobbyist sites, despite the many obviously professional and semi-professional people also using them.

As I said, it's each to their own and if people want to make a profit from every picture thats fine. But please do not denigrate those of us who do it for a hobby and who are pleased to simply have exposure rather than mega-bucks.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

iRISH251

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting Relic (Reply 20):
Now i think i am going to annoy alot of people here,but only last week i was approached on behalf of a very large airline regarding a book publication asking to use one of my photos.The proceeds of this book will be going to charity.Im not sure how much,but im not worried about that,its for charity.I was asked if i would be willing to give my photo for free,which i agreed providing i was acknowledged as the author of this photo in the publication.This was agreed.
Any other time i would have charged,but to me this is a maybe a one off chance to have something i have shot in a worldwide publication.

I too was approached by what may be the same author for permission to use a historic shot, i.e. one that was taken 20 or so years ago (so that rules out the kids with digital cameras!). The author's royalties will go to charity but I'm not sure that that makes the whole enterprise a non-profit one, as a major aviation publisher is involved and I doubt they operate as a charity.

I'm going to seek more information before deciding, as I always make a distinction between hobby-type endeavours which are a labour of love, and commercial undertakings. It is not a question of money as far as I am concerned but I have always been of the view that since commercial organisations are in business and charge for their products or services, they should be prepared to pay for something which has a value to them, be it the work of a professional or an amateur photographer.

scbriml

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 5):
This is exactly the reason I'm getting out of wedding photography - there are too many hobbyists out there that will give away a wedding shoot for a couple hundred bucks just to buy a new lens. They don't seem to get that every time they give it away, they take meals off a pro's kitchen table.

They would seem to be financing their hobby, and they may even buy food with the couple of hundred bucks.

I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy. I can't see it as anything other than supply and demand. These days it's a lot easier for almost anyone to produce reasonable shots, so Mr & Mrs Notveryrich are going to go with the cheapest option for their wedding photos. What are they going to get from the pro for 5-10 times the cost?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

CalgaryBill

Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 23):
I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy.

Don't be afraid and I don't need any. Like I said, I'm out of it - one wedding left in November and I'm done. My gear will still get put to use in other photography genres that I love such as aviation and wildlife.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 23):
What are they going to get from the pro for 5-10 times the cost?

Experience? Consistency? Backup? I'll PM a longer answer to you since this is an aviation forum...

B

Accidentally

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:55 am

I'm too damn scared to even get that far in my photography "career". I sold my D30 a couple years back, and just the other day bought a 40D...I'm just not looking forward to the hassles of photographing at my new home here airport KIND, so I havent been out yet. I need to meet up with some local spotters - but I guess this all really belongs in another thread.
Indianapolis, IN

scottieprecord

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Yea Boi.

The way I see it: if you charge and they say no, you've gained nothing, but you've also lost nothing; you give away your work for free, you've lost a photograph, and you've gained nothing. You really have nothing to lose by doing so.

-Mike

speedbird128

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting AKE0404AR (Reply 11):

Hi Jorg,

I received a query from a manufacturer that was involved in the construction of some of the wing and engine components of the very aircraft in your photo, and shot at the same airshow.

After I said lets discuss compensation I never heard back from them again. I would love to know if they used it without permission, but all my searches for the advertisement they were planning came up empty. So I hope not.

It's not like we expect 1000's of  dollarsign  - but as has been mentioned, one just tries to offset the costs of their camera gear, travel costs etc etc...

Cheers
Bryan
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

ptrjong

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 27):
After I said lets discuss compensation I never heard back from them again. I would love to know if they used it without permission,

That is what usually happens. Not very polite, but they were polite enough to contact you.

The ones that steal your photo don't contact you.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

JRadier

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 21):
I've had flights and other stuff from airlines which I consider to be far more useful than actual cash for pictures

Which is compensation as well. So you are not one of those that destroys the market  Wink.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

walter2222

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 28):
The ones that steal your photo don't contact you.

checkmark 

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 28):
That is what usually happens. Not very polite, but they were polite enough to contact you.

I was also contacted a couple of week ago. I gave a rough cost indication. Then no feedback for a couple of days. Then I wrote an e-mail asking feedback... and I got a reply: they had found a cheaper offer! So, at least I got a feedback!  Smile

PS: I recently got two copies of an aircraft modeler's magazine from a friendly modeller in return for using a small copy of one of my pictures in his story (which for me was satisfactory for the use of a very common shot  Smile ...)

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

eksath
Crew

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:22 pm

I agree with Vasco.

The problem is compounded by the fact that there is no fee structure that is commonly known. Most of the people who give it away are not aware/ignorant about the $/Euro value of the picture. I can bet you that most off these same people will think twice if they realized how much $/euros they are basically "giving away".

Perhaps we should have a sample thread stating pictures along with $/euros generated from them. This will give a sense of value to those who are less inclined to charge for it. I know there is a general sense of reluctance to talk money and specific buyers but I believe that further compounds the problem.

[Edited 2007-09-09 15:28:28]
World Wide Aerospace Photography

JRadier

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Eksath (Reply 31):

Perhaps we should have a sample thread stating pictures along with $/euros generated from them. This will give a sense of value to those who are less inclined to charge for it. I know there is a general sense of reluctance to talk money and specific buyers but I believe that further compounds the problem.

I think the customer should not be named to protect both your own interests and those of the customer. I think something like this could work:

[photo]
Type of publication:
Circulation: (if applicable)
Size/place used: (such as: cover, 23rd page etc)
Amount:
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

eksath
Crew

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 32):
[photo]
Type of publication:
Circulation: (if applicable)
Size/place used: (such as: cover, 23rd page etc)
Amount:

Sounds good. I will start a thread to that effect.

here you go:
Take Pride In What You Do II ..Post Your Work (by Eksath Sep 9 2007 in Aviation Photography)

[Edited 2007-09-09 16:44:22]
World Wide Aerospace Photography

ake0404ar

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:30 am

Suresh,

quite an interesting approach to finally wake them up.......great idea!

Vasco

skidmarks

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 29):
Which is compensation as well. So you are not one of those that destroys the market

Damn!! And I was cultivating a little mustache and investing heavily in Brylcreem!! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ghost77

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:52 am

Thank you for replying to my email. You are the only person out of around 60 photographers who has refused free use of a photo for the book aimed at raising funds for charity (yeah right, I've heard that before and what all say).

However, I respect your right not to give permission and will delete the photograph from my downloads so that it does not get used in accordance with your wishes. The copyright owners wishes must always be respected.

I would like to have been able to give you the copies of the book you asked for but I would have had to pay for them myself and because I am not making any money myself from the book cannot afford to do so.

Kind regards

I was about to give my work for free from 1 to 20 pictures, in return i was asking only for 2 to 3 copies of the book.

Respect yourself... GET PAID OR NEGOTIATE SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR YOUR WORK! You're not going to become a millionaire, but you'll be able to buy more photography gear! There's always something new out there waiting for you to get in your hands and use it in your nearest field.

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

Dazed767

Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm in the middle of a request right now, it's going to be about 3,000 copies for a free publication. Not sure what to charge (and the photo is my SXM AF 747). Any suggestions?

Stealthz

Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting Dazed767 (Reply 37):
for a free publication.

But what constitutes a "free publication"?
Just because it is given to the reader for free does not always mean that there is no profit motive somewhere, either for the publisher or the subject.

As to what to charge?
More info on the publication would help.

Cheers

[Edited 2007-09-11 08:23:45]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Dazed767

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:45 pm

Some eco magazine. Print size would be 2x3.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 38):
More info on the publication would help

mirrodie

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting Boeingfreak (Reply 1):
, in what world do these people live?? I experienced it myself several times, people asking for free images... And when I told them that they have to pay I never heard back anything from them.

They are cheapskates pure and simple.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
have gotten 2 requests in the last month from Asiana and China Airlines and once they hear they have to shell out some of that money they make they never email back.

Sorry to hear it Nick. They have a hard enough time undertstanding ATC directions at JFK, maybe they just don't understand you.  Wink

Quoting Eksath (Reply 31):
The problem is compounded by the fact that there is no fee structure that is commonly known.

Well I just went through a similar discussion and discussed it with Royal, Phil, Tom and a few other photographers here. the one company wanted my photo "For use as we see fit."

in fact, let me dig out that email correspendence. i'll use fake names.

Hi Bert,
I would like to know how I can purchase this photo.
Thank you.
Ernie

Ernie
Let me know exactly what you need
Bert

Bert
We would like to know what your terms are with regards to the use of this photo. We are an aircraft leasing business and we lease these type of aircraft. We actually own this particular aircraft and lease it to the airline. Please give me a call so that we can further discuss your terms. I look forward to speaking with you.
Ernie

Ernie
The price is negotiable and I hope to arrive to something we your company and I can all be happy with. As such, I did consult www.gettyimages.com, which sells stock photos. Below, in bold, was an idea of what stock photos cost.

Based on what you stated the usage would be, client proposals, brochures and unlimited web use for commercial use, Getty would sell the images at $1350 (800+550).
See: http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/frontdoor/DefaultRRLanding.aspx My fee falls far beneath that.

From the start in email and phone conversations, you know I 've said I want to be both fair and reasonable. That said,
now that you are aware of what fees can be, would you like to propose something different? Please, I am open to discussion and look forward to hearing from you.
Bert

Bert
Thanks for following-up. I apologize for leaving the conversation as I did the other day. I was a little flustered by the situation, and just had to "deal" with the moment. As you can tell I am a newbie at this process, and did not have a whole lot of clarity as to what we are looking for. I understand that from the start you have said you wanted to be fair and reasonable, and we at Sesame Street appreciate this. We think this is a great photo and would like to be able to work something out as well and do want to purchase the photo. The original (estimated) quote you you gave of $xxxx to $xxxx did seem a little steep for our limited use of an image of an aircraft that we do own. I've taken a better look at how we've used photos in the past and, aside from availability on the website, they seemed to be used on a very "internal" basis. Once I have figured out (as much as possible) how and where we will use this image, I will be in touch. Having said all this, please feel free to visit our website.
and take a look at how we have used other images.
Ernie

In the end, they never got beyond that. We later corresponded and I told them to make an offer but no dice. They first said it was for image use "as they see fit" but once she got an estimate, she then re-defined the image use what you saw in the last email but by then it was too late.

While I have mixed feelings about the exchange, I am happy to see there was an exchange though.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

zululima

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:04 am

Don't forget people, that the watermark feature is there for a reason. I haven't been able to upload anything yet, but when I do there will be "airliners.net" written over every one. Don't encourage "free" usage by making them easy to steal. Even if you routinely give photos away, make sure the user is contacting you. I'm sure it would be a drag to see your best photo show up in the latest al-qaida pamphlet without your consent.

By the way, does anyone know if the watermark feature can be reversed by photoshop, etc., and if that's an option time/money-wise for the general public?
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!