Novice Spotting At ORD

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:08 pm

Hey folks. I recently moved back to Chicago after a few years at grad school, and while I'm not, for the time-being interested in actually photographing planes, I am interested in some good spotting spots around ORD. I took a quick drive around the area, down mannheim by 27L, and around the west side of the field on elmhurst, and while there are plenty of areas along the road to spot nice approaches and departures along the runway centerline, there's either nowhere to park (inconspicuously), or the terrain is so much lower than the runway, that once a plane passes over head, it quickly disappears long before it touches down. Any suggestions?
Dassault Mercure: the plane that has Boeing and Airbus shaking in their boots.

RE: Novice Spotting At ORD

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:19 pm

being from Chicago the outer parking lots are good if they are landing the 27L/28 combo you can park at the kiss and fly lot and go up to the tram its a good spot to spot. when they are landing the 9r/10 combo there are some lots along Elmhurst rd. just beware of the cops it was tight security the last few times i was at ORD to spot. If you are looking for a good time and have suggest going down to MDW. At MDW you can park on one of the neighborhood streets and then walk to a corner at the end of the rwy and it will be WN 737 after another. Hope this helps......