flyboyseven

How Long Does It Take To Screen A Photo?

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:36 am

I am not talking about the length of the que our anything like that. I am talking about how long the screener is looking at the picture for. I have always wondered this. When my first photo was accepted it said in screening for 1:20 minutes. I had thought that it would only take 15-20 minutes, but obviously I was wrong.

Are there any screeners out there that would be willing to share?

Cheers
Graham
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

DeltaAVL

RE: How Long Does It Take To Screen A Photo?

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Flyboyseven (Thread starter):
When my first photo was accepted it said in screening for 1:20 minutes. I had thought that it would only take 15-20 minutes, but obviously I was wrong.

I'm admittedly not a screener, but it (obviously) doesn't actually take screeners an hour and twenty minutes to screen a single photograph. Photographs are taken in groups of a few hundred at a time, and while the upload stats page may say "Photo in screening", it doesn't necessarily mean that a screener is looking at that photo at that particular time. A few months ago, it was not uncommon to see a photo "currently in screening" for over a day.

My best guess (and a screener will know for sure) is that it takes about 30 seconds to screen a single photo.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 1):
not uncommon to see a photo "currently in screening" for over a day

Remember, often times photos pass through multiple stages of screening. I'm guessing every time a photo is passed on, it sits in another queue before being picked up by the next screener.

[Edited 2007-09-24 01:23:04]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

flyboyseven

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 am

That is what I was thinking.

Does anyone know how many screeners there are?

Graham
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

TransIsland

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:42 am

I would hope that screening times vary depending on the photo... from under a second in obviously rejectable cases to quite a few minutes when it's a tight call.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

bubbles
Crew

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:28 am

Quoting Flyboyseven (Reply 3):
Does anyone know how many screeners there are?

Graham, on About page, you could figure out.  Wink http://www.airliners.net/about/

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 4):

checkmark  Yes, it really depends on photos, from seconds to a few minutes.

_Hongyin_

flyboyseven

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting Bubbles (Reply 5):

Ah, I had forgotton about that.  Smile

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought.

Thanks

Granite

Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Hello

Photographs are taken in groups of a few hundred at a time

This is an incorrect statement. For me photographs are taken in batches of 10 or 20. I don't think any screener take batches of a few hundred. If they do they are screening thumbnails  smirk 

Regards

Gary

[Edited 2007-09-24 12:26:35]

DeltaAVL

Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Quoting Granite (Reply 7):
This is an incorrect statement. For me photographs are taken in batches of 10 or 20. I don't think any screener take batches of a few hundred. If they do they are screening thumbnails

You misunderstood, I was referring to the photo upload page when it says something like "482 photos not screened yet 162 photos currently in screening."
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

dendrobatid

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:13 pm

I had never really given a thought to this before but what Hongyin said was correct.

I did 20 earlier today, the most I ever select in a batch and these were for a first screening

I rejected 8, four with personals (two very poor, rejectable from a thumbnail though still checked properly),
I corrected the information on two, minor changes,
I passed on a comment to the next screener on three
I instant added two.

That all took me 13 minutes