KLM772ER
Topic Author

Ever Had No Mood For Editing For A Long Time?

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:37 am

Hello folks,

Just wondering, have you ever had no mood to edit or shoot for over a month?

I am just sitting here and want to edit some shots I have, but whenever I start I realize within 5 min, that it is just no fun at the moment.  fever 
And without the fun, the results, simply are not good... I do something like three steps and even so early in progress, I see that it won't get a good result...  frown 

It is strange, as normally I am a freak like probably all of us
I hope it doesn't stay to long...  Sad
Have you ever had such a phase?

Cheers
Björn  fever 

TS

RE: Ever Had No Mood For Editing For A Long Time?

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting KLM772ER (Thread starter):

Absolutely. Everyone needs a break from time to time. Quite frankly, editing photos to upload them here has never been fun for me. I'd rather go out & shoot instead of wondering whether a photo needs to be rotated 0.0049 degrees clockwise. Then, there are also weeks during my camera hangs out all the time.  Smile

Thomas
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

EK20

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am

All the time. I think it's mainly due to going to the same airport and shooting the same planes most of the time. Best thing to do is go and photograph something totally different and that gives you a break.

KLM772ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting EK20 (Reply 2):
I think it's mainly due to going to the same airport and shooting the same planes most of the time. Best thing to do is go and photograph something totally different and that gives you a break.

That is my problem. That is exactly what I did. I was in Brasil, and had the chance to take some shots there, I even flew over Sao Paulo in a Cherokee and took some shots. But it simply was no fun. It was over a week ago, and I didn't even have a look at them yet.. they are still on the CF in the camera ...

Anyway there will be the time when I will see them and probably give one or two a go.. (hope it will be soon!)

Cheers
Björn

[Edited 2007-10-02 18:01:18]

diezel

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting EK20 (Reply 2):
Best thing to do is go and photograph something totally different and that gives you a break.

Very true.

Or, go to other airports, write to other photogs, try to get (legal) access to restricted areas, and yes, now and then just leave the camera in the bag  Wow! and have a drink while enjoying the wonderful world with the two 50mm primes you got when you were born  Wink It's fun.

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

ptrjong

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:06 am

Hi Björn,

Is that why your night shot of the Leverkusen An-2 is still not in the database?
I drove by last week, and I'm uploading a photo... If it gets accepted, I hope you don't mind. sorry 

Quoting EK20 (Reply 2):
Best thing to do is go and photograph something totally different and that gives you a break.

checkmark 
I also enjoy browsing through my old files. Sometimes I find older shots that I like, or that I am now able to edit better. It's fun editing and uploading these.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

jorge1812

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:44 am

Absolutely the same here. But having pics on Anet or other sites is not everything. Why not just shoof planes (or other things) and be happy with the results and not be happy with the edited results which were accepted here. Also you have all time of the world to upload and edit. Normally I edit not more than 4 pics per day of my over 300 I have taken over the last months and where I think they are good enough for Anet. I'm not in the need to upload them on the day they were taken. Also have a job and a family and enjoy more to spend time on these things than with editing pics.

Anet is not everything the world is about!

georg

michlis

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:48 am

Quote:
Anet is not everything the world is about!

Good point. For awhile I was so focused on getting my first approval for Anet that I forgot to have fun with my aviation photography. Granted, aspiring to become a photographer in the database is a goal and with that in mind I am more critical of my photography, but I keep it in perspective that my first goal is to challenge myself and grow as a photographer and have fun doing it.

(edited for grammar)

[Edited 2007-10-02 20:53:54]
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

CalgaryBill

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:48 am

All the time! I shoot a few weddings and editing darn near kills me. The latest one was 4 days (an Indian wedding) and 1700 pictures. After editing all those, I have zero interest in even looking at my aviation stuff. I must have over 10,000 decent aviation images and just can't be bothered to edit and upload them...

B

Stealthz

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 8):
All the time! I shoot a few weddings and editing darn near kills me.

Yep, just getting over one of those!

Quoting EK20 (Reply 2):
All the time. I think it's mainly due to going to the same airport and shooting the same planes most of the time. Best thing to do is go and photograph something totally different and that gives you a break.

Burn out is an issue, especially if there is no variety in your shooting.

Between my PC and the 2 HDD attached to it there are probably 50,000 photos that have seen no post processing, every now and then I go thru some and do some processing. Sure I looked at them when downloaded and selected the "Best" for processing... but then I am not the worlds greatest editor (content rather than processing) so sometimes I find hidden gems, that helps rekindle the enthusiasm as well.

Another thing that affects enthusiasm for editing and processing is .. why are you doing it?
A/ Is it for the photography?
B/ Is it as a record of your plane spotting?
C/ Is it to get pics on A.net?

There is no correct (or better worded.. wrong) answer to that question but your answer will influence your enthusiasm for the processing portion of the craft.

Cheers

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

KLM772ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 5):
Is that why your night shot of the Leverkusen An-2 is still not in the database?
I drove by last week, and I'm uploading a photo... If it gets accepted, I hope you don't mind. sorry

Yep one of the reasons, Mick wanted to give it a go back than, but never heard back anything yet. Waited two weeks or so.
And when I finally decided to do it myself, it was no fun in doing so...

But actually today I reedited the shot, and right now I am waiting till the server works again to upload it

Why should I mind if you upload a shot, it is neither my plane nor do I have the right to prevent someone from taking photos.
And if I am not uploading my shots, it is my own fault

Anyway maybe you can buy me a beer if we happen to meet someday

Cheers
Björn

[Edited 2007-10-03 14:26:41]

ptrjong

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting KLM772ER (Reply 10):
Anyway maybe you can buy me a beer when if we happen to meet someday

Will do!  Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

N243NW

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 pm

Definitely. I'm in that kind of mood right now. I have dozens of photos from OSH this year that have been sitting on my hard drive for months. I'm frankly too busy at the moment to edit them, but I also have sought to widen my perspective when it comes to photography and am shooting a variety of other subjects.

-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

shep2

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:29 am

No doubt - if you don't take a break from time to time - awareness is lost.

Don't get too involved in your own vision - fore there's lots more out there to see...

speedbird128

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Yup I am in one of those 'zones' too... I have several gigs of RAW that need to be looked at - but I just couldn't be bothered right now to do it.

Variety is the spice of life, and a break is good too now and then...
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

aero145

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Yes, I'm in no mood for editing though I have a bunch of shots to edit. Don't care really, nothing to lose by taking a break.

viv

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Yes - I'm in that mode at the moment.

Can't be bothered.

Viv
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

TransIsland

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:29 pm

I know the feeling. I've got a few shots that I'll eventually edit and upload, but right now... I simply can't be arsed. Edited several non-aviation photos though, just needed a break from a.net's rules. I hope that in about two weeks, when I return from a short trip with hopefully a fair bit of spotting, I'll have the nerve to wonder about things like level, center, etc. again.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Stealthz

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 17):
Edited several non-aviation photos though, just needed a break from a.net's rules.

This raises an interesting question.
Those that are tired of editing, are you tired of post processing altogether or simply taking a break from A.nets relatively tight and generally uncreative guidelines?

Cheers

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

KLM772ER
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 18):
Those that are tired of editing, are you tired of post processing altogether or simply taking a break from A.nets relatively tight and generally uncreative guidelines?

For me it is a complete break from editing.. Right now it is getting a bit better, but I have no time... So lets see how it is in a week or two.
But I think my break has nothing to do with the rules from anet. Whenever I edit for Anet, I know what I expect to get as a result, and as I am feeling free to give creativity a chance, I know it is normally nothing for here. But as often said above, Anet is not everything...  Wink

As for the break, I think it has more or less to do with the overall situation in my live right now. And the funny thing is, normally photography helps me to relax and take a break from all the stress.. and right now it is just not working..

and that is what I intended with the topic... ever had the feeling to take a complete break from our great hobby and not just from Anet????

Björn

viv

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:23 am

taking a break from A.nets relatively tight and generally uncreative guidelines?

For me, that's it - especially the inconsistent application of the "sharpening" criterion.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

jorge1812

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting KLM772ER (Reply 19):
and that is what I intended with the topic... ever had the feeling to take a complete break from our great hobby and not just from Anet????

Mostly when I have lots of things to do and manage in my private life or in the job I'm not very interested in spotting at all but then when I came back to the airport it makes even more fun than regular visits. Also enjoy those quite times when you are alone at the fence with just your thought, a camera and few planes behind the fence.

georg

ghostbase

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:42 pm

This thread gives me hope! I really have not been in the mood to edit shots for A.Net for quite a while now and I am struggling to understand why it has become a bit of a chore and mildly unsatisfying. Can see where Chris is coming from with "A.nets relatively tight and generally uncreative guidelines" but that is not normally an issue for me, also my acceptance ratio has always been good and the rejections I have had, well I look at them and agree with the screeners then decide whether I can be bothered to try again or not (and the answer sadly is normally not!). Have also been receiving feedback from screeners (thanks Mick!) which I appreciate so no problems with A.Net as it is currently operated.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I see myself as an aviation enthusiast who happens to take photos, I have no ambition to be an aviation photographer. A.Net has, I think, become much more focused upon being a place for photographers and less for enthusiasts - especially the last few years - and so the energy here feels like a mix of many people wanting to achieve first uploads to become noted as photographers, or trying to be the 'best' / 'top of the pile' which personally leaves me cold.

I have recently been uploading to a new military aircraft database - better not say which one if I want to remain here  Wink - and that has brought the sparkle / excitement back again. Yes, lucky to get more than 50 views per photo whereas on A.Net it would be nearer 500 but the standards are a little less tight and I can post photos which mean something to me as an enthusiast and they will be accepted and shared with other military enthusiasts. For example, one of my bugbears here has been what has felt like an embargo on military nose art (you are indeed more likely to get an elephant through the eye of a needle than military nose art accepted here) yet I can post these to my heart's content on that database.

Perhaps we all change with time and what we want out of our interests changes as well. Having no mood to edit or shoot for over a month might well indicate that it is time to stand back and ask what does uploading to A.Net really do for you and is it really worth all that editing time? If you want to jump that increasingly higher standards hurdle because it is there to achieve then great. If you want to be an A.Net 'name' then good luck to you. But when editing becomes a chore it might be time to make a decision and look further afield. Satisfaction is out there - somewhere  Smile

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

Scooter

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:14 am

Interesting thread.

I've pretty much fallen out of airliner photography for the past couple of years, but I do get the itch for it every now and then. I probably shoot only three or four times a year now (but they are all full-day shoots), and I don't even bother editing the photos when I get home. I do sort them, but I'll edit them...someday.

I'm starting to get excited about winter shooting here @ LAX, so I'm sure I'll be shooting again soon. But editing? Someday.  Smile
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

eadster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 17):
Edited several non-aviation photos though, just needed a break from a.net's rules.

That's a good thing. I've been doing that for a while, I will have a very small few coming through the ranks here (hopefully) but not too many. It is good to get away from "rules" as it only clouds one's judgements.

It makes a difference when you move somewhere and you can't get near the airport for decent shots like I am now!

I can't edit at the moment, as my computer is in a box on a truck somewhere, but quite frankly, if it was here, I couldn't be bothered doing any aircraft photo editing anyway. For my own site, yeah sure, but for here, not really. I'm on a bit of a break from it.

ZakHH

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:50 pm

Usually, the mood to not edit comes before the mood to not shoot. Which ends me up with tons of unsighted RAWs on the harddisk, which again is a demotivator to start editing.

Usually, when I realize that editing is no fun, I stop shooting as well. Or I start some experiments, try to do something different and gain experience in techniques I would not use so often. The results of experimental shootings are rarely keepers anyway, so usually, these sessions do not leave much editing work.

Another detail I noticed about myself: when I am in no mood for editing, I am more critical when sorting RAW files and deciding which ones to keep. So usually, I use these moods to browse through my unedited RAW files and delete the ones that are not good.

When I am in an editing mood, I am much less critical and occasionally edit shots that are not that good.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

flyfisher1976

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:57 pm

I have a rather large collection of photos thast I need to go through. Probably on the order of 2-3 thousand. I find it hard to get motivated to sit inside when the weather is nice. As the winter approaches, I will probably do more editing and submitting of photos taken this summer.

picturethis

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:52 am

I haven't edited any for absolutly ages, not even taken them off my camera some of them!

I still enjoy going and taking the photos though

Just got more important things now like girls are taking up alot more of my time
Make sure they know we're playing the game, but we don't need to play the game because we've already won the game.

chris78cpr

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:59 pm

I feel this too. I am currently onto editing stuff from May 2005! LOL I have the last 2 years and 4 months to go through. Probably around 20,000 shots to choose some nice ones.

My motiviation for editing isn't down to the acceptance level on here. I spend every day taking, editing, playing with photos for my degree that when i get home i really just can't be bothered to edit more!

I've spent the last 5 days trying to clone in asses on pictures i've shot for a calender! Ugh! I hate photoshop!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

jid

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Chris I think I will have to see this calendar !!!!

It may give me some motervation Big grin
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

chris78cpr

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting Jid (Reply 28):
Chris I think I will have to see this calendar !!!!

It may give me some motervation Big grin

I think you'll like it Jid! 24 pictures of the university's sports teams! And guess what! It's a naked calender! It's been hard shooting photos of naked students all week!
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

jid

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:40 pm

If you need my address or even a self addressed large envelope just let me know - Oh I feel some inspiration coming this way ... for aviation .. hummm not sure but it will be worth a try Big grin
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

KLM772ER
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:27 pm

This turned into a really interesting thread..

On the one hand there are people who are unhappy with rules of Airliners.net and have no feel like editing for this site anymore, other are simply to stressed with other photos so there is no will to edit for here, and other like myself are simply in a phase of not dealing with photography at all..

For me I realized that it simply had to do with some upcoming stress in my live I ignored in the beginning...
And who is the culprit, like so often: the evil women  banghead   duck 

Well now she is gone and I hope the fun in photography comes back soon...

Cheers
Björn

jorge1812

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting KLM772ER (Reply 31):
This turned into a really interesting thread..

What I found interesting is that nobody (IIRC) said no, I still like to edit pics all the day and never have a problem with editing thousands of pics a week......are all people so busy with editing that they do no post here? Do they just said, yes I am tired b/c all the others did or is there nobody with such an never ending editing power?

georg

aviopic

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 32):
What I found interesting is that nobody (IIRC) said no, I still like to edit pics all the day and never have a problem with editing thousands of pics a week

Guess they simply did not bother to answer Big grin
From the thousands of uploaders only a hand full entered the thread so...........

I can honestly say that no day will pass without doing some editing in general about 2 to 3 hours.
Not always because I like to but also due to of promises made, at some point it becomes normal work I guess.
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

boeingfreak

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:13 pm

I'm experiencing something similar. I haven't been to the airport since August 1st. Weather was shit in August and school started again in September. Tomorrow I'll fly to FRA for a huuuuuge spotting session which hopefully will give me back my motivation to edit pictures (I'm sure it will )  Wink

Keep your fingers crossed for some nice weather at FRA tomorrow!  Wink  Wink

Florian  wave 

codeshare

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:37 am

I had a break like that last year, about 2 months or so, and it was really hard to get back. t resulted in a few rejections at the beginning.

As of October 2007, we all know what's happening, and I'm hesitating a little bit to upload. Luckily everything seems to be turning back to normal.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

n710ps

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:11 am

I know how that feels, I shot like mad from from October through April and than did not pick up the camera again untill this past week. I have uploaded a few old ones and got a top hitter on the "other site" out of one of them. I am yet to upload any of that batch to anet yet though.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

LHRman

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:03 am

To be fair, the weather has been a main contibutor to the reason why editing has been on the down for myself and probably most others living in the UK. When I do a session I normally get home and edit about 20 shots (of the aircraft that are of interest). Trouble is, since the good spell of weather in April and some of May I have not been around when there has been good weather.

Looking out of my window I can see the sun is out and fluffy clouds are passing by.. I know full well that when I get to Luton/Gatwick/Heathrow it will be different. I wait til I am garunteed good weather then I will put petrol in my car and go out but until then I'll busy myself with other things. I only get 2 days off a week so my free time is precious and if I go to the airport every spare day I dont think I would have a woman in my life.. I may pop over Southend later to get a couple of statics but thats about all I can do atm.

Its sad I think people appear not to be able to get motivated to edit due to this place having harsh screening methods but then again I can understand. We technically are do this out of enjoyment for the hobby (ok some like the money aspect) but for me I do it because I have always had a long standing interest in aviation. Its just a shame the weather has been out to get me this summer otherwise I imagine I would have a few more images lying around to edit.

Lets all hope for a good winter  Smile
Rgds
Dave
Always after the picture you can't get..

Stealthz

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:54 am

Just figured this out.. well for me anyway.

My primary motivation is to produce nice prints, what I put online (pbase) and upload to Anet etc are different to what I might print.

The last few months I have been in a situation where I have not been able to print or have prints made.
Not being able to hold a quality print in my hand or look at it when well displayed has taken some of the fun out of the process.

I am hosting a visitor to SYD tomorrow and realised I don't have any nice prints to hand.

Cheers

Granite

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:22 am

Chris

These guidelines are going to be discussed with the management at the head crew summit. I know the management are interested.

Regards

Gary

boeingfreak

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:25 am

My editing mood came back after my trip to FRA, it was just fantastic! 15 currently sitting in the Q  Smile

Florian  wave 

Jez

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:50 am

I'm currently experiencing a bit of a processing block. My recent uploads were processed a few months ago. I've not really been in the mood for it since being at the Shoreham show when a Hurricane went down.

KLM772ER
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting Granite (Reply 40):
These guidelines are going to be discussed with the management at the head crew summit. I know the management are interested.

That sounds very interesting, so there might be a change in the future of maybe getting some more "creative" shots into the db?
Keep us up to date, I think many of us are very interested in it  Wink

Cheers
Björn