Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

Too Low In The Frame?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:14 am

Well, is it?!  Smile Thought I had a good edit until I opened it again today. Seems like it might be a tad low in the frame. Or no?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/N713ShamuSANAug262007.jpg

Thanks.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

monteycarlos

RE: Too Low In The Frame?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:32 am

I'd say yes.... there is too much dead space in this shot.

Can you crop it tighter? I'd even sacrifice the wing for the tigher crop but each to their own.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

Kereru

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:34 am

Looks okay to me. I prefer the sky to more concrete apron and tends to adhere to the rule of thirds for me.

Sometimes better to crop in closer clipping the wings a bit, however in this case you would chop the nice sky back ground out and that would spoil it. Good luck.

Colin  old 
Good things take Time.

walter2222

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:47 pm

It looks OK to me, centering wise,... but I think it will be more appealing if you crop it closer (according to me  Smile ).

Just get rid of the right wing part and crop tighter to the tail (leave the whole tail, so you can still keep the nice sky background), cropping this way will also get rid of the majority of the grey concrete apron...

Good luck!

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

scbriml

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:56 pm

IMHO - nice shot, not too low in frame.

Only downer for me, is the "crown" of lights above the fuselage, but I appreciate it's difficult to do anything about those.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

NIKV69

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 3):
but I think it will be more appealing if you crop it closer (according to me

I agree, the crop is a little off. Nice shot Ryan. Getting a closer crop would get a nicer look at the nose and that gives that C/S some justice.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Lanas

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi

Centering-wise it´s OK. I´d rather have more sky (and this one is beautiful) than concrete, as Colin said.
I like the picture as it is. A closer crop would also be nice, although it may risk a motive rejection. As Walter said, a closer crop on the tail might allow for some of the nice bits of the sky to be in the picture. Cropping close to the horizontal stabilizer can bring a good result, IMO.

Hope it helps. Big grin

Cheers  Smile
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

TransIsland

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:43 pm

I'd leave it as is. I like unclipped wings. (I suppose you could get rid of a half dozen pixels on either side, but that wouldn't really make it a tighter crop...)
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Thank you everyone. Personally, I try to avoid cropping parts of the aircraft if possible. If you were to browse my collection of photos on this site, you would find that I generally stick to the same type of crop from this and similar angles. Like someone said above, each to their own.

The 737-700 can seem very awkward at times with certain crops due to its proportions. But I purposely cropped the way I did so that the sky and some of the lit city skyline would be visible in the background. In my opinion, those elements are what make this shot worth uploading, especially since I already have two shots of this aircraft in the database.

Thanks for your help. It seems the general consensus is that the centering is ok. Lets hope the screeners agree. I will leave it in the queue.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.