Scotland1979
Crew
Topic Author

Westjet Code - Why #4 Doesn't Exist?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:20 am

Hello!
I was wondering why every Westjet code never has # 4 at the end?

For instance

206 etc..... did you notice # 4 doesn't exist at the end...

Does anyone know why? I like to know why.

Thank you!
Jesus said "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" - John 14:6

CalgaryBill

RE: Westjet Code - Why #4 Doesn't Exist?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:25 pm

Not sure, but a friend of mine is a captain over there and I've forwarded the question. If he's on a pairing it could be several days before he answers.

B

BO__einG

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:58 pm

4 is Bad Luck for Westjet.
One of the superstitions around the world which in the case of WJ chose not to have this particular number shown on any of its tails.
I do wonder why they chose 4 instead of the more common 13 as many here worry about.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

bubbles
Crew

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:30 pm

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 2):
I do wonder why they chose 4 instead of the more common 13 as many here worry about.

Smile I have no idea, either.

But the number '4' in Chinese definitely is not a good one. Except of very slightly different tone, the pronunciation of number '4' in Mandarin is same as another Chinese character which means 'to die'. Of course, again I don't know why '4' is bad luck for WJ. whereas it is a bad number for Chinese.

_Hongyin_

CalgaryBill

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:55 am

Apparently the superstition goes back to the Canadian Airlines days. Two examples I was given were a 737 vs snowplow runway incursion in Kelowna and a 737 that caught fire and burned here in Calgary. Both had 4 in the flight number.

B

Scotland1979
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:47 pm

Really.. thanks CalgaryBill for sharing this information. Also thanks Bubbles about "4" which is an interesting information.

Thanks again!
Jesus said "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" - John 14:6

bok269

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Bubbles (Reply 3):

I have no idea, either.

But the number '4' in Chinese definitely is not a good one. Except of very slightly different tone, the pronunciation of number '4' in Mandarin is same as another Chinese character which means 'to die'. Of course, again I don't know why '4' is bad luck for WJ. whereas it is a bad number for Chinese.

_Hongyin_

Yes I noticed this in a hotel I was staying at near YVR in Richmond, an area with a large Asisan population. Any number with a four was omitted as a floor number.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

CalgaryBill

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Bubbles (Reply 3):
the pronunciation of number '4' in Mandarin is same as another Chinese character which means 'to die'.

It's the same in Cantonese, four sounds like die or death. Another one is five, which is pronounced "mm" which also sounds like the word for "not." Eight sounds like "lucky" so house number 58 would be "not lucky" and likely wouldn't be purchased by someone superstitious. Apparently my Chinese brother-in-law whose house is number 58 isn't very superstitious!

Two on the other hand sounds like "really" or "very" so 28 is "very lucky," my old house number 228 was even better - "very, very lucky." Must be true, the price almost doubled in 2.5 years, we sold it, and it's now paying for my commercial pilot's license (and a Nikon D3!)...

B

visityyj

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:57 pm

Check out the flight numbers between YVR and China. Lot of 8s in there  Wink

bubbles
Crew

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 7):
58 would be "not lucky"

In Mandarin, the pronunciation of "58" goes to the opposite direction. "5" sounds like "I", and "8" is similar "prosperity, and enrichment". So, "58" stands for "I am getting rich."

_Hongyin_

Scotland1979
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:16 am

So I hope I will find rare camera 58D to keep me getting rich lol