muellae

Help About Spotting In New York

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 am

hey,

i will be in new york city in a few days and want to visit all the new york airports. I would prefer EWR and LGA, but maybe -if time allows it - I would like to see JFK aswell.
Unfortunately I didn't find good infos on the internet. Does anyone of you know a good link?
Or what places can you recommand? Anything else I should know about?
I heard from a friend of mine about planeviewpark at LGA. How do you like that place?

thanks a lot for your help!

sincerly

manuel

Moose135

RE: Help About Spotting In New York

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:19 am

Check out www.nycaviation.com - all the information you want to know about spotting in the NYC area. We have spotting maps for JFK & LGA, as well as a message forum where you can ask for the latest info.

Planeview Park is a great spot for Rwy 4 arrivals at LGA. Here is the view from the park:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/85856495-L.jpg
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/138321456-L.jpg

You can also get some 22 departures there as well:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/85668866-L.jpg

EWR is not very spotter friendly - local PD are quick to chase people from the local parking lots with the best views. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

ANITIX87

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:14 am

Hi, Manuel!

I'll be in NYC from the 20th to the 25th, and NIKV69 and I are planning on going to JFK early one morning (probably the 21st or 23rd, for some sunrise shots early in the morning. If you want to join us you're welcome, I'm not sure when we'll go though, as Nik and I seem to have conflicting schedules.

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 1):
We have spotting maps for JFK & LGA, as well as a message forum where you can ask for the latest info.

Seeing as you used the word "we" I assume you are affiliated with NYCAviation? I know that a lot of you guys at the site get airside at JFK for shots, based on a lot of the stuff in the DB here and elsewhere. I was wondering if a layman like myself could get an opportunity like that or not. I'm incredibly jealous and would love to get that chance. Thanks for any info you can give me.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

soon7x7

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Quoting Muellae (Thread starter):

JFK would be time best spent, as the diversity of carriers exist there,however think LGA at the park will offer more shooting in your limited time, if your ok with largely ,domestic carriers with some Canadian activity...Park is good for Northeast arrivals or Southwest departures. EWR...good luck...in my opinion, unless you have a good connection is an expensive waste of time...Jerry...PS...with JFK, pretty much with any runways being used, you can find a fairly good spot, (the locals can help on this) but have a powerful lens in your quiver...j

NIKV69

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):
I'll be in NYC from the 20th to the 25th, and NIKV69 and I are planning on going to JFK early one morning (probably the 21st or 23rd, for some sunrise shots early in the morning. If you want to join us you're welcome, I'm not sure when we'll go though, as Nik and I seem to have conflicting schedules.

I can do sunrise but not for too long I have to work. I can shoot afternoons too depending on WX.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Moose135

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):
Seeing as you used the word "we" I assume you are affiliated with NYCAviation? I know that a lot of you guys at the site get airside at JFK for shots, based on a lot of the stuff in the DB here and elsewhere. I was wondering if a layman like myself could get an opportunity like that or not. I'm incredibly jealous and would love to get that chance. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I say "we" in that I've been an active member of the site from nearly day 1 (as is NIKV69 btw) and I'm a friend of the site owner, but I don't have any official role in its operation.

I'm jealous of some of that airside access some of the guys get also  Smile Much of that comes from guys who work at one of the three airports, as well as a few guys who have their own contacts. So far I haven't been able to get in on a deal like that, but I haven't given up hope.  wink 

je89_w
Crew

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:48 pm

How is the weather this time of year? I will be in town from the 22nd until the 25th, and it would be nice to meet some of the local spotters, if I can make it to one of the airports while I'm there.

Moose135

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Quoting Je89_w (Reply 6):
How is the weather this time of year? I will be in town from the 22nd until the 25th, and it would be nice to meet some of the local spotters, if I can make it to one of the airports while I'm there.

It's not great right now - cloudy, showers, starting to get colded (highs in the mid-40s F) Looks like you will be in for Thanksgiving weekend - the forecast is for improving conditions by the end of the weekend, warming up a little with more sun. PM me, I should be around, would be glad to meet up with you.

soon7x7

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 5):

I can get you airside JFK...j

mattbna

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 1):
EWR is not very spotter friendly - local PD are quick to chase people from the local parking lots with the best views.

Do they only chase-off photographers due to the cameras or do spotters with notepads / logbooks make the cops nervous as well?

Matt

--
Canon EOS 7D & 40D -- 100-400mm L IS -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 28-135mm IS -- 10-22mm -- 18-55mm EF-S