flipdewaf

Pictures On AA

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:51 pm

The AA interweb site says;

"Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited."

I am flying out of LHR in the 27th (If they dont strike) with AA and i was wondering how hard it is to actually get pictures on the plane, I wasnt looking to do any cabin shots just some wingviews.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Fred

INNflight

RE: Pictures On AA

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:04 pm

I had no problems on AA Eagle this year. I didn't get up for a cabin shot, but wingviews were no problem. Just wait until the cabin crew did their final pre-departure check throughout the cabin and then take out your camera when they are strapped in for take off. Nobody will notice probably.
Jet Visuals

SNATH

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:30 pm

I've taken many pictures on AA without much trouble. Here are some:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tony Printezis
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Printezis

I've been allowed to snap a picture of the cockpit too:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Printezis

Look at these trip reports too:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/61688
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/60821
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/71924

Having said that, AA is the only airline where I've been told to switch off my camera; twice too. This was due to the "all electronic equipment should be switched off during landing" rule.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

JohnJ

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:40 pm

I, too, have had no difficulty with wing views on American and have quite a few of them. Cabin shots are another story. I've only tried once on AA, and decided to ask permission since I usually inadvertently make a spectacle of myself when I try for a cabin shot. I had my five-year-old son with me on the trip, and with him in tow we went to the back and asked an F/A if we could take a picture for his kindergarten class (I had other motives, of course, but I do usually put a picture book together for my son after a trip). We received a flat-out "no". I wish I could train my son to cry at will.

flipdewaf

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 pm

I wont be sat at a window seat, are they likely to mind me going for a stroll to take a picture?

Fred

chris78cpr

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:06 pm

I fly AA very often, i'm EXP with them. Photography 3 years ago was a lot easier than it is now. I flew LHR-JFK-MIA-DFW-LAS-ORD-LHR a few weeks ago and i only felt comfortable taking photos after i had got permission from the flight attendant's. On some flights they said no, on some they said yes but only i was discreet. I try to take a couple then stop straight away as passengers can get weird with it. Generally when i fly i'm in Business or First and they are a bit more tollerable to what i want to do.

My reccomendation is to ask the flight attendants and then if they say yes go ahead and if they say no then don't. It's not worth getting in trouble with an airline, expecially when flying into the USA over photography.

Good luck!

Chris

BTW: Here are some images i have shot on AA. Mainly from 2004.

View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © C.S. Photography

5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

visityyj

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 5):
On some flights they said no, on some they said yes

The 'rule' is vaguely worded so that individual crews can (and do) interpret it differently. Shooting out the window couldn't possibly be construed as "personnel, equipment, or procedures" by any reasonable standard, but that doesn't stop some crews from playing the Security Card  butthead  .

BA747-436

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 pm

I have to say AA crews are the most over-zelous ive ever experianced with the no photography rule. I guess you 'could' put this down to a number of things.....

In saying this when ive travelled on AA i'll often take a quick walk to the back of the F/J cabin and shoot a few frames then return to my seat. As said, as long as your descreet about it there shouldnt be a problem. Some F/A's can be anal about it though so if in doubt, ask.
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer