jamesbuk

Just How Tough Are Modern SLR's?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:25 pm

Hey guys and girls,

Well the question is simple really, Just how strong and tough are modern SLR's? Does it take much to break them, like a simple drop from average eye height, would that break it?

I ask this because I'm extremely careful with my D80 , I don't hold it without having the strap around my neck or wrapped around my wrist - because I'm scared of dropping it and it breaking.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

opso1

RE: Just How Tough Are Modern SLR's?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:35 pm

My CANON EOS 30D has been subjected to 6 G and bounced around the cockpit- still works perfect. I've got rubber armour on it to protect it.

OPSO1

INNflight

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:45 pm

I almost never use the neck strap of my 1DmkIII, just hold it in the hand. It's really built like a tank, I can also just throw her into the trunk and drive to the airport without photo backpack if I'm in a hurry.

Never dropped it from eye height tho... guess that's not recommendable for any camera.
Jet Visuals

clickhappy

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:00 pm

about this tough  eyepopping 

Big version: Width: 591 Height: 415 File size: 45kb
O U C H

ThierryD
Crew

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Dropped my backpack with the D200 inside once from eyes height; as the Sigma 50-500mm was attached to the body it had quite some weight. Endresult: a crack in the camera body near the little display --> 150 Euro repair. Sad
So even if those cameras are pretty tough I would strongly recommend treating them carefully.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

TransIsland

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:07 pm

My Pentax K10D (protected by a Quantaray Pro backpack) recently survived a motorcycle accident. Some bystander was kind enough to return the backpack to me in the ambulance, as the straps had ripped off sometime during the impact/flight/landing phase... The only thing in that bag that did get damaged were my sunglasses, which were in one of the front pockets.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

whappeh

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Opso1 (Reply 1):
I've got rubber armour on it to protect it.

Camera Armor stuff? I see advertisements for it all the time, I've always pondered buying some for my camera, since I know one day something is bound to happen... I've been fortunate so far that I every time I've slipped on rocks or while running to get a shot, I've managed to use my body to protect my camera, but that is going to run out eventually.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

N243NW

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 3):
about this tough

Wow...makes a grown man want to cry...

tombstone 

-N243NW
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

fergulmcc

Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting INNflight (Reply 2):
I almost never use the neck strap of my 1DmkIII

Yeah I took mine off too, they can be really anoying. Put them back on again when doing weddings, only time they are handy carying around a few camera's.

Take care

Fergul  sun 
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

chris78cpr

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:55 pm

Anyone who knows me and has photographed with me has seen the state of my 1dmkii. It's not exactly LNIB! lol

I figure these are built to last with pro's so i don't baby my camera too much. I have both straps on it but it just gets thrown in the bag, over my shoulder, on the floor, in the car, etc. It's built to last so im not too worried about it.

A 40d or D200 or something i would be more worried about. But most are pretty durable.

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII