carlos
Crew

Corlor Cast And Grainy

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi,

I need help with editing this rejected picture:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...tions/big/20071225_PH-KZO_2408.jpg

It has been rejected as "color cast" and "grainy". The screener worte: "This shot has a reddish color cast to it."

Please have a look on my picture. Is it really grainy? What can I do to improve it?

Thanks!

Klaus

boeingfreak

RE: Corlor Cast And Grainy

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting Carlos (Thread starter):
Is it really grainy? What can I do to improve it?

Hi,
especially the blue parts of the KLM livery are a bit grainy, nothing serious though, one run through NeatImage should do the trick.

Cheers,
Florian

carlos
Crew

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi Florian,

thanks. I used NI only for the background... What about the color cast...?

Greetings
Klaus

Skylens

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi,

I had a quick look at your image, and I think that you were unfortunate to have it rejected.

Presuming this was shot on digital, what ISO settingv did you use for this shot? A high ISO
setting will produce digital noise (similar to grain in high sensitivity film) on most digital cameras.
Eg ISO 400 or above, depending on the camera make/model.

Your image appears to have a slight magenta (red/pink) colour cast - in other words the white (on
the side of the plane) is not pure white, but has some colour in it. This could have been caused by
two things; your camera's White Balance adjustment not being quite right (Refer to your camera's
manual for details on White Balance); or in post camera image editing on your computer.
if your monitor is not correctly calibrated. Most LCD monitors, by default, have a cyan/blue color cast
(the opposite of Magenta) so if your LCD is like that and you corrected for it in image editing, then this
would mean that your image has been overcorrected for the LCD's blue cast, resulting in Magenta whites.
Solution - calibrate your LCD ( Ref www.colourconfidence.com )

I hope this helps..  Smile
Nikon D200 & Nikkor Lenses, Manfrotto Supports.