FLYB6JETS
Topic Author

Some Photo Help

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:08 pm

I found this photo of China Eastern from my LAX trip last spring and figured I'd see if it was worth uploading. Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Jetjock22/chinaeastern.jpg
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

boeingfreak

RE: Some Photo Help

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi,
nice pic, for my taste a bit low in the frame, but.... give it a go!

Cheers,
Florian

JRadier

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:28 pm

it looks a bit soft to me
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

opso1

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Lots of sky, but it is a long aircraft... Looks fine to me, but maybe that's why I've only got a 12% acceptance ration on here at the moment!

OPSO1

boeingfreak

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Oops, just discovered several dust-spots, no, don't upload the above shown version!

Florian

FLYB6JETS
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting Boeingfreak (Reply 4):
Oops, just discovered several dust-spots

Florian, are they on the right side of the photo above and below the tail?

boeingfreak

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 5):
Florian, are they on the right side of the photo above and below the tail?

Yep, exactly!  Wink

Florian

FLYB6JETS
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting Boeingfreak (Reply 6):
Yep, exactly!

Thanks. I'll give them a whirl

acontador

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Short and sweet:

- Dirty: I counted at least 11 dustspots, both above and below the tail, all on the right side of the image.
- Grainy: Sky.
- Editing: You have something going on top fuselage/sky junction, like you erased something on the border.
- Soft: Particularly visible in the shadow areas. But watch out front/back ends, you'll get oversharpened there very quickly.
- While it's not overexposed, this is a classic example of what we call a 'hot' photo, that is with very bright whites.
- Quality/Common: With 87 pics of same aircraft already in, your picture has to be of a very high standard in order to be accepted, so as it stands you would probably also get a common rejection.

Sorry, but I hope it helps  Smile .
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

FLYB6JETS
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting Acontador (Reply 8):
Sorry, but I hope it helps

No apologies needed. Every little bit of advice helps. On the "hot" photo issue - how do you reccommend compensating or correcting this? I've noticed alot of my shots have this problem but I am not sure how to fix it.

acontador

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Jeremy,

The best way to do it is to avoid it at all, that is trying to underexposed just enough in camera for whites not to appear hot (or overexposed for that matter). Since I mostly shot at my local airport under full sunshine and with a lot of white airplanes, if I choose evaluative metering, then I compensate - 2/3; if I choose center weighted, then I keep compensation at 0.
Now, if you have already taken hot pics, then be very careful during editing not to increase this by adjusting levels on the right (=highlights) side, only left (shadows) and a bit at midtones if necessary. I don't recommend shadow/highlight tool, which in this case can be used to the contrary of highlighting shadows, that is to tone down highlights, since you can only used it in very small doses as otherwise it gives the whites a 'milky' look, very easy to spot, and worthy an editing rejection  Wink , and it should only be used in the areas affected (sometimes difficult to select).
Also, bear in mind that adjusting contrast will have a similar effect than levels, that is if you increase contrast whites tend to go even more white.
As I said, best way to deal with this is to underexposed in camera just enough, but not too much!
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!